[gui-talk] Issue with USB Connections

Debbi Williamson debbi107 at atlanticbb.net
Tue Jul 14 02:11:42 UTC 2009

I can't remember if it was on this list, and I can't seem to find the
message that was sent to me; but, here is my problem.  When I plug any
device into a USB port, such as my n82, the victor stream, etc., the device
is not recognized.  The only device that is recognized is my printer which I
had uninstalled and reinstalled.  There are 2 usb ports on the front of my
computer and 4 on the back.  The one where the scanner is must work because
the scanner works; but, I'm reluctant to mess with that because it works.
When I unplug the printer and plug in a device such as the n82 or the
stream, nothing happens--no little chimes.  I am using windows xp
professional, JAWS and a computer that is just a little over 2 years old.  I
think someone suggested going into device manager and deleting something;
but, when I go into the control pannel and into device control, I don't see
anything like that and I can't delete anything.  So maybe I don't know where
to find "device manager" and, I certainly do not know what to do if I ever
find it.  But, I really need a usb connection as I have an n82 for my
husband and I am wanting to install screen reading software onto it.  So,
assumming I am one with absolutely minimal knowledge, how do I fix my
problem?  I can hardly believe I have no USB connections for ever and ever?
Any help will be most appreciated.