[gui-talk] Still getting (*very* slow downloads from NLS BARD catalogue

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Wed Jul 1 01:40:45 UTC 2009

I'm downloading a book right now and just want to report that I'm getting a
download speed of not quite 20 KB/sec. Now, before someone suggests that
there's something the matter with my system's performance, my ISP, or
whatever, I would like to say again that even though I don't have a killer
fast connection, lately a typical download speed for me at several different
Web sites has been around 75 KB/sec. Even something a good bit slower than
that wouldn't distress me. But never have I gotten such slow download speeds
as I have for three books now, on three different days at different times of
day, downloading from the BARD catalogue.

I'm not looking for an answer or a fix, because last time everyone said both
that they don't have such bad speeds and also that maybe it has something to
do with Federal servers or what part of the country I live in or something,
all of which sounded awfully vague to me. So this time, I'm just saying it's
happening again, and my downloading performance has been multiples faster
all over the place. I think there's something pretty screwed up at this NLS
site, is all I want to say this time. And of course I appreciate their
wonderful service and everything. So I'm not bum-rapping the national
Library Service or anything like that.