[gui-talk] The New Amazon Kindle 2 Has Arrived

mworkman at ualberta.ca mworkman at ualberta.ca
Tue Feb 10 23:23:17 UTC 2009

I believe it was on this list that a discussion took place about the
possibility of having access to Kindle books.  Well, from the article below,
it looks like we have another way to increase our access to print, though I
really have no idea how easy or difficult one of these things is to operate.

Marc

Dear Amazon Associate:

We're excited to introduce Amazon

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?R=21BL5JYTHSE01&C=1BZ4TTD4EFK9Y&H=U2kiiEIFB
aupOb0BfPMDYMAUApYA&T=C&U=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2FB0015
4JDAI%2Fref%3Dpe_1130_11308840>

Kindle 2, the next generation wireless reading device. With a sleek and thin

design that makes Kindle 2 as thin as a typical magazine and lighter than a
paperpack, the new Kindle has seven times more storage and now holds over
1,500 books. It has a longer battery life and faster page turns. An advanced

display provides even crisper images and clearer text for an improved
book-like reading experience. And Kindle 2 even reads to you, with "Read to
Me", our new Text to Speech feature.

With Kindle 2 we kept everything readers love about the original Kindle-the
convenience of reading what you want, when you want it, the immediacy of
getting a book wirelessly delivered in less than 60 seconds, and Kindle's
ability to "disappear" in your hands so you can get lost in the author's
words. We're also excited to announce that the Kindle Store has over 230,000

ebooks available.

Read-to-Me

Now Kindle can read to you. With its new Text-to-Speech feature, Kindle can
read every book, blog, magazine, and newspaper out loud to you. You can
switch back and forth between reading and listening, and your spot is
automatically saved. Pages automatically turn while the content is being
read, so you can listen hands-free. You can speed up or slow down the
reading speeds or choose a male or female voice. Anything you can read on
Kindle, Kindle can read to you, including books, newspapers, magazines,
blogs and even personal documents. In the middle of a great book or article
but have to jump in the car? Simply turn on Text-to-Speech and listen on the
go.