[gui-talk] In IE 7, Control E has changed for me

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Mon Apr 27 04:55:54 UTC 2009

I'm accustomed to being able to bring up a Google search edit field from
whatever Web page I may be on by pressing Control E. And Jaws would always
speak that it was Google and then say "edit." Those who use IE7 know how
this works.

But just recently, every time I press control E while on a Web page, it
takes me to a search edit function but Jaws says inbox.com search. And if I
go ahead and type something in and click on it (Enter or Alt Enter for a new
tab page), the results page says inbox.com, and the results are just a
couple of headings instead of the way a Google results page is coded, and I
haven't even bothered exploring with the up and down arrow keys and the tab
key to see what's there that letter H navigation isn't revealing to me. I
just feel tricked, as if somehow the function got hijacked away from Google.
I have no idea what inbox.com is, or how something with a name like that
happens to provide a search engine. And I don't care. Now, if I go to
Google.com, I still get the real Google search page, and everything's fine.

But what is this inbox.com deal? Please note: I do have a respectable
anti-spyware program that I keep updated and run a scan with regularly.

Thanks.