[gui-talk] laptop recommendations, please

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Mon Dec 22 17:23:22 UTC 2008

I've seen several. Most have at least 1 sd card slot and at least 2 or 3
usb ports for external devices. the Acer Aspire One has 2 sd card slots
and 3 usb ports. The MSI Wind has 1 sd card slot and 3 usb ports. The
MSI Wind has better power management I think, but it's keyboard has some
serious issues. I'm not talking about its design meaning that it feels
right because the keys are big, but the problem with this one is the
design of how they did the number pad which is embedded in the right
side of the keyboard. Also, some models of the MSI Wind have bluetooth
as well as wifi. All of them as far as I know have wifi so that's a
non-issue for Internet access. They also all have an Ethernet port for a
wired connection. With a 3-cell battery I can get around 1.5 to 2 hours
of use, and with a 6-cell battery I can get over 3.5 hours of use with
Window-Eyes, internet explorer, and/or Firefox.

Of course if you run other things, your millage will vary.