[gui-talk] Call Centers Return to U.S.

taraprakash taraprakash at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 05:31:32 UTC 2008

Hi Joel and all. I think the quality of tech support varies from service to
service. I do not like buy.com tech support much, but I was never
disappointed with Dell customer care. Both have call centers in India, not
necessarily in Bangalore (now called Bangluru) though. The reason in
difference in quality is the result of the expense the manufacturers want to
incur towards tech support. I would not expect Joel, whom I know only from
some balanced e-mails, to be so judgmental about the call centers at
Bangalore and Manila. For all we know the person who Joel thought was
sitting in Bangalore or Manila was actually talking from Sambalpur,
Sikandarabaad or Seoul. I did read the news item in Washington Post where
the writer specifically made clear that As the businesses in US found this
opportunity of saving on tech support by using call centers in India, there
was a mad rush and finally the quality of the call centers suffered as the
demand exceeded supply.
The reason, Joel, that the quality of the call centers is not satisfactory
does not lie in the fact that they are in Bangalore, on the contrary, the
reason for your dissatisfaction and that of many others, perhaps, is that
they are not based in Bangalore. These call centers are more likely based in
some other cities in Asia.

Having said that, I must clarify that I am not defending call centers. I
have been a staunch critic of globalization. My intention is only to clear
some misconceptions which are sometimes cherished so dearly that they become
truer than the truth. One such misconception is that the support provided
from the US soil will be more efficient and less foreign accented than when
provided from Bangalore. In my interaction with representatives of as
diverse facilities as Medicaid, Barns and Nobles, Radio Shack, Humanware,
access lynx etc I did not always find that to be the case. I believe that
the tech support should come back to the US not because it will give
efficiency, rather because it will give employment to Americans.
My final point does not add to the discourse of the call centers. I should
clarify for Joel's sake that Hindi and Bengali are two major languages of
India However, there are as many native speakers of these languages in
Bangalore as they are in Orlando, Florida. And you are thousand times more
likely to hear English being spoken in Bangalore than in Miami.

Hope I could put things in to perspective even though it is almost midnight
and I am already half asleep.

Regards
TP
TaraPrakash
Dept. of English, Writing Program,
University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL. 32826.