[gui-talk] Call Centers Return to U.S.

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Thu Dec 11 21:16:56 UTC 2008

Albert,
I haven't been as fortunate as you. I've had a lot of horribly frustrating
experiences with tech support phone people in Bangalor and Manila. I don't
even want to go into it, because there are portions of that Washington Post
article that pretty well nail the kinds  of hassles I've experienced. I only
want to say, in case it's necessary, that I'm not biased in general against
anybody because of their ethnicity or nationality, and I'm not the least put
off by accents unless someone's English is actually impossible for me to
understand. I have friends and acquaintances from more than one foreign
country, speak and read and write Spanish at a very modest level, and know a
little Russian, too. It's nothing to do with thinking poorly of people whose
first language may be Hindi or Bengali or Tagalog. But as I said, the
article includes descriptions of the kinds of impossible situations I've
found myself in, wasting a lot of time and being made pretty crazy by
sometimes extremely polite people who must imagine they're doing their jobs.
By the way, my worst experiences  have come with making calls to Amazon
phone support, which went overseas a few years ago, before which the person
would be in Seattle or Vancouver or Salt Lake city and we didn't have
problems communicating, even though I sometimes brought the unfamiliar
problems of being a screen reader user to the call because that was
pertinent. But since overseas people began to answer that toll free line,
I've had some really awful experiences. Now I just do the best I can on my
own, and if I really can't get around some difficult problem or seeming
malfunction on Amazon, I ask a sighted friend to help me, if that's what
I've got to do. I'm not going through that stuff at Amazon anymore if I can
help it.

IMHO, of course!