[gui-talk] braille

tribble lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 15:26:08 UTC 2008

Good point, but I don't think I do the internal translation into print when
I'm reading braille -- I pretty much think "t" when I feel that dot
pattern -- my problem is in identifying whether which dots are there or not.
I often have to site rubbing my finger around on the braille character a
split second or more to figure out what I am feeling.  It's the same reason
I never took to the optacon -- I couldn't tell the shape right away -- it
just took too long to recognize the character with my finger.
I don't know if this is sensitivity in the fingertips or internal
processing. Probably the latter and the lack of practice.

Actually this leads to another question that I'd like to run by the list:  I
was listening to something on one of the discovery channels about the
difference in the brain between sighted persons and persons blind from
birth.  I don't know if the guy knew what he was talking about but he said
that in the blind person, the visual cortex was remapped to handle tactile
processing.  (I know that the VC is remapped, that is obvious, but I don't
think that it is known what it is mapped to.)  Anyway, given this, he
claimed that trying to give vision to a blind-from-birth person would
actually cause more problems than it would solve.  So is there an actual
study of brain waves for various activities in a person blind from birth?
Cheers.
--le