[gui-talk] braille

Rick Roderick rickrod at insightbb.com
Wed Dec 10 14:14:39 UTC 2008

I changed  the  subject line to  reflect the discussion.

I have a theory, or perhaps, a hyposis, about why braille is usually read
more  slowly by people who  learn it later.

When a person learns  a foreign language, they can be slowed down by
word-for-word translation.  When I took French in high school and college, I
was never able to conquer  this.  I am not discounting Laura's comments
about finger sensitivity, but I  also wonder if  a role is played by the
need, at first, to read the braille and translate it in one's mind to the
print symbol.

Those of us who are congenitally blind did not learn this first.  I know
that  when I hear a word spelled, I  think of it in braille.