[gui-talk] Braille Reading

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at loc.gov
Wed Dec 10 13:30:02 UTC 2008

In Grade 3, dot 5 v stands for "love".  Dot 4 v is the contraction for
"live".  Grade 3 has almost 600 contractions; Braille shorthand is more
chaotic and contextual.  Grade 3 and Braille shorthand demonstrate that a
system like Braille can have too many contractions, which can slow down
comprehension.  Whether contracted Braille (formerly called Grade 2) or
uncontracted Braille (formerly called Grade 1) inhibits fast reading more
is still sometimes debated.  But we are getting quite far from the
graphical user interface in this thread.  I am one of those people who can
read a little faster than 200 wpm, one-handed.  I never got much help out
of my right hand for reading speed.  I also have a time convincing people
that if you read one-handed, it is likely to be with your non-dominant hand.

At 01:19 AM 12/10/2008, you wrote:
>Sometimes reading a little slower improves comprehension -- I mean, when I
>was a print reader I used a CCTV and read (frankly) too slow for my taste,
>but in so doing I picked up things like spelling and writing technique in
>the various things I read -- not just surface content.  This helped me in
>the long run. Rather than scan something several times to get the meaning, I
>studied it carefully once or twice and had a good understanding of it for
>future reference.
>
>BTW: Doug, is dot5v in grade 3 really equivalent to "live"?  I thought I
>knew grade3, but I obviously missed that one...
>Yes, rearranging dots can make some funny meanings.
>Happy reading.
>--le

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535   <http://www.loc.gov/nls>
HOME:  <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent
those of NLS.