[gui-talk] Google mail view question:

wcmerritt at gmail.com wcmerritt at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 04:48:25 UTC 2008

Even though Google offers keyboard shortcuts in the standard view, I
think that the Basic HTML view is made all the more accessible using
the JAWS quick keys. For instance, I can use X to jump to the first
checkbox in the HTML view, which I know to be the first message on the
screen. This skips me past all the other headings and junk at the top
and in the middle of the screen and straight to my messages. I think
that some of the Gmail shortcuts would conflict with the keys JFW uses
to move around the screen. I suppose you could disable the JAWS quick
keys, but what would you gain as a result? Navigation on one website;
not worth it to me, but tha'ts just me. I am glad to see that Gmail
has keyboard shortcuts. However, considering all of the things they
are adding as "labs features" to the Gmail standard interface, and
other new features which I've read about on the Official Gmail Blog,
I'm hoping that they'll carry some of those over to the Basic HTML
view one of these days. Many of them are visual in nature, but a few
actually look to be useful, such as the contacts management features,
tasks, and other things.

Jmt,
Wayne