[Colorado-Talk] iPhone/iPad Software Updates Coming on March 24

Curtis Chong chong.curtis at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 17:25:56 UTC 2020

Greetings and felicitations:

Those of you who use iPhones and iPads may be happy to know that iOS 13.4
and

iPadOS 13.4 are officially announced to be released on Tuesday, March 24.
For users of Zoom and/or VoiceOver, some bugs are being fixed and some new
bugs added. It is ever thus with technology<smile>.

According to the article posted by Applevis
<https://www.applevis.com/blog/apple-release-ios-134-and-ipados-134-march-24
-several-new-features-mixed-news-blind-and-low> , here are the bugs known so
far:

.           According to Apple's release notes, these releases Address "an
issue in Safari where webpages may not be inverted when both Dark Mode and
Smart Invert are active." However, this has not been our experience. Whereas
in iOS 13.3.1 and iPadOS 13.3.1 Smart Invert of web pages did appear to work
as expected for us in these conditions, it does not on iOS 13.4 and iPadOS
13.4. Accordingly, if you rely heavily on this functionality, you may wish
to avoid updating until we hear if others are also experiencing issues with
Smart Invert with web pages in Safari.

.           VoiceOver will on occasions wrongly indicate that some blocks of
text are editable text fields, resulting in VoiceOver speaking feedback such
as "text field, editing", "double tap to edit" or "character mode" before
speaking the text. Typically, this behavior only occurs on the first
paragraph when navigating by swiping, but may occur more frequently if
navigating by touch. This is most prevalent in Safari, but has also been
encountered in several other apps. Our experience suggests that apps pulling
the text from the web are most likely to exhibit this behavior - such as RSS
readers and news apps. This behavior is particularly intrusive if you have
VoiceOver hints enabled, so you may want to disable this option until this
issue has been resolved.

If interested, you can read the full Applevis post by going to this link:
https://www.applevis.com/blog/apple-release-ios-134-and-ipados-134-march-24-
several-new-features-mixed-news-blind-and-low

Cordially,

Curtis Chong