[Colorado-Talk] Denver to open temporary sanctioned camps for people experiencing homelessness

Gary Van Dorn garyvdrn at msn.com
Sun Jul 5 19:12:02 UTC 2020

This issue is of interest to the blind.  I was walking down East Fourteenth Avenue near Civic Center to deliver my ballot to the Denver Election Commission where I encountered a large encampment of homeless.  An immediate concern came to mind: the campers were literally sitting on, or had their legs, on the sidewalks.  I was thinking what would happen if I were using my long white cane?  I could have hit their legs or them with the cane perhaps causing an angry encounter.  Or worse.  I could easily see conflict.

Has anyone encountered campers downtown near Civic Center Park (Fourteenth and North Broadway), near Morey Middle School (near East Fourteenth Avenue and North Clarkson Street), or any other location in the Denver metro area?  Was your encounter as a blind person positive?  My focus with these questions is blindness related only; although I have a personal opinion living in the Governor’s Park neighborhood, I want to remain focused upon our ability as blind people to safely travel.

Denverite published "Denver to open temporary sanctioned camps for people experiencing homelessness <https://denverite.com/2020/07/01/denver-to-open-sanctioned-camp-for-people-experiencing-homelessness/>” by Donna Bryson on 1 July 2020 that gives a good an fair explanation of the camping situation downtown.

Gary