[Colorado-Talk] Call Rep. Office About 16th Street Mall Redesign

Dan Burke burke.dall at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 13:38:26 UTC 2019

Greetings all -

Doubtless we are all aware of the proposed redesign to the 16th Street
Mall that would take out all the curbs and fail to replace them with
adequate tactile differentiation between the sidewalks and the Mall
Shuttle lanes.  This will make the 16th Street Mall a lot less
accessible to blind people. A number of our members have been working
on this, attending meetings, writing letters, etc. You can help too.

Below is a letter sent to Rep. Diana DeGette’s office a couple of
weeks ago. We need to get members to call Jack Murphy at the local
office, especially members who live in her Congressional District,
which is pretty  much Denver and parts of various suburbs. We want her
to help us determine if the federal funds in the project are being
used appropriately when the proposal will quite likely make the 16th
Street Mall less accessible to blind people. Here’s the contact info:

Rep. DeGette District Office
Jack Murphy
Phone: (303) 844-4988

Say something like:

I am a member of the NFB and I am blind. I want Congresswoman DeGette
to help us ensure that the redesign of the 16th Street Mall is
accessible for blind people because federal funds are involved.

This is our own backyard guys. Let’s get a bunch of calls today and tomorrow!
Dan