[Colorado-Talk] Here's what's next for Denver's first transportation department

Gary Van Dorn garyvdrn at msn.com
Sat Nov 16 22:42:46 UTC 2019

One of the results of our recently election is the creation of the Department of Transportation and Infrastructure<https://www.bizjournals.com/denver/news/2019/11/14/denvers-first-transportation-department-agenda.html>   This new agency changes Denver’s City Charter allowing Denver to focus on transit and infrastructure.  My fear is that other cities will follow.  Cities having their own transportation can create problems traveling from one area to another.  I have lived in Denver my entire 28-years in Colorado.  I quickly comprehended how seamless traveling from one city to another with the regional system we now have.  I will always remain a regional thinker when it comes to transit.  I found this article from the Biz Journals very interesting on this new Denver Department.

I grew up in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.  Marion is next to Cedar Rapids.  Cedar Rapids runs one of its buses into Marion.  The Marion Zone charge was five to ten cents more than the rest of the Cedar Rapids system.  Traveling between the cities may be seamless although the street names and address scheme changes.  First Avenue becomes Seventh Avenue although the highway remains US 151.  For a while, we lived in Hiawatha to the north of Cedar Rapids.  Hiawatha residents did not want Cedar Rapids’ buses in their community for sometime.  I had to walk nearly two miles to the nearest Cedar Rapids bus at times to travel to school.  How thrilled I was to recently see a Cedar Rapids bus actually travel down Robbins Road next to where I lived in the mid 1980s.  Perhaps you can see why I am a regionalist.

Gary Van Dorn
Treasurer, Mile High NFBCO
Chair, Mile High NFBCO Transportation Committee
Board Member, NFBCO
Treasurer, NFBCO Sports & Recreation Division
President, NFB Public Employees Division