[Colorado-Talk] Disney Plus Not Accessible to the Blind

Nate Trela ntrela at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 14:40:02 UTC 2019

Agreed. You know, there's a really interesting debate in what we mean
by accessible vs. something being usable. I think we sometimes
conflate the two.

I too subscribe to the idea of trying different
devices/browsers/screen readers to get things done, and in many cases
I have made things work that others insisted were not accessible. It's
certainly frustrating to work through at times. But when I have to get
something done for work immediately, I have to figure it out and then
circle back.

Of course, I know not everyone can afford the tech to have all those
options. And not everyone has gotten training that would suggest
sitting there and testing all the options. I only learned of that
strategy because I'm married to the best tech instructor you'll ever
find. :)

And with that said, there's really no excuse for a company the size of
Disney building something from scratch without ensuring a level of
universal accessibility. With the Domino's lawsuit happening, and the
growing push for web accessibility guidelines, I can't figure out if
Disney not making the service work for everyone is a result of
ignorance, incompetence, short-sightedness, penny pinching or a
combination plate made from those.

So, many of us can use the service but some are shut out. And they're
shut out because somewhere along the line, (or its contractors) spent
enough time thoroughly testing accessibility.