[Colorado-talk] Family Preservation Safeguards for Parents With Disabilities

Scott C. Labarre slabarre at labarrelaw.com
Wed Jan 24 16:53:35 UTC 2018

Hello Everyone:

I am pleased to announce that,  through State Representative Jessie
Danielson, we have introduced our parental rights bill which we are calling
the Family Preservation of Safeguards for Parents with Disabilities Act.  It
is House Bill 1104.  At this time, we do not have a hearing date but we will
certainly alert everyone once we do.

When we do have a hearing, we need to present stories to the legislators
about why this legislation is necessary.  Therefore, I am looking for blind
parents who faced difficulty in exercising their parental rights.  This
could be a parent fighting with a sighted spouse about parenting time during
a divorce.  The argument has been that the blindness of one parent should
allow the sighted parent to have more parenting time because the blind
parent cannot keep the child or children safe  or take care of them as well
etc.  This could be a blind parent whose child was taken from them or
threatened to be taken by a child welfare department on the basis of
blindness.  This could also be discrimination against a blind parent or
blind parents  in trying to adopt a child or to serve as a foster parent.
We need your stories!!

Please email me at slabarre at labarrelaw.com <mailto:slabarre at labarrelaw.com>
or call 303 504-5979.  Please also feel free to spreac this message far and
wide.

Best,

Scott