[Colorado-talk] How to File a Proper Complaint With RTD

Ryan O. rryano218 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 03:48:45 UTC 2013

Hi, Folks:

This may be of interest to those of you in the Denver area, or those who
avail yourselves of RTD's services on a regular basis.

I worked at the RTD call center late last year.  The duration of my
employment there was two days.  This wasn't due to any abhorrent behavior on
my part, but rather, because RTD's computer systems were not nearly as
accessible with JAWS as I had been lead to believe.  During my very brief
tenure, I learned the intricacies of how a complaint is processed.  IN light
of the recent implementation of the automated stop announcements, I thought
I would share a basic guide to filing a complaint or commendation with all
interested parties.  Most of this may seem obvious, but there are a few
vital steps you need to remember so as to insure that your complaint will be
properly filed and acted upon.

First, it's important to be aware of the fact that every bus contains a
four-digit identification number.  For purposes of accuracy, it will be
extremely helpful if you can give the bus number when you file your
complaint.  This number is visually displayed on the exterior and within the
interior every bus and can also be found in braille.  The braille number is
located in one of two places.

If the bus is a normal-riding bus, the ID plate can be found on the
partition wall directly behind the driver's seat facing toward the back of
the bus.  If you were sitting in the first seat directly behind the driver,
the plate would be to your left on the wall at approximately shoulder or arm
height.  You can identify a normal-riding bus by the three steps going up
into the bus as you board.  Normal-riding buses will have seats available
all the way to the front of the bus.

If the bus is a low-riding, or split-level bus, the braille ID number will
be located behind the driver's seat on the partition wall.  This partition
wall is located opposite the front door and slightly to the left as you
board.  The number plate will be facing into the aisle and can usually be
found anywhere from waste to chest height.  You can identify a low-riding
bus by only one step up as you board, along with the large metal wheel wells
that are present behind the boarding and driver area in place of the seats.
You will also find a set of steps that lead to the elevated rear passenger
section approximately half way toward the back of the bus.

Light rail cars are also designated with an ID number.  These numbers can be
found in braille on the back wall of each car.  I've never had any luck at
locating them, but I've been told that they are there.  The following tips I
give you will apply to the light rail system, as well as to the bus.

The ID number will go a long way toward expediting the complaint process.
You don't have to have it in order to file a complaint, but it will help the
call center employee to triangulate exactly which bus you are discussing.
It is also very helpful to note the exact time that the incident occurred.

Most (though not all) buses have cameras on board.  They are meant primarily
for security purposes and often, they do not work.  Unless your complaint
involves criminal activity, don't count on them to substantiate your story.
Do your best to remember all details of the incident.  The more thorough you
are with the call center worker, the more thorough their investigation will
be.  Also, most (though not all) buses are now equipped with GPS tracking
devices.  Often times, these do not work.  They can be used to track a bus
if it is late or damaged and RTD is getting better about their maintenance.

When you first call, you will hear the automated voice tell you, "All calls
are recorded for quality assurance."  This is code for, RTD wants to cover
their collective butts.  If any complaint results in legal action, they need
to have a record of it.  Despite that, be sure to write down the important
details of the call.  Make a note of the date and time and be sure to get
the name of the call center representative with whom you are speaking .  If
you need to do a follow-up call at some point, you will be asked the name of
the person with whom you originally spoke.  If the RTD rep does not give you
his or her name at the beginning of the call, be sure to ask for it and make
a note of it before you hang up.

Often times, callers are stressed out when they submit a complaint.  Some
become hostile or abusive.  I know that the RTD bureaucracy can be
frustrating, but keep your head about you when you speak to one of their
employees.  Be calm, courteous and respectful to the call center rep when
you are telling your story.  Their job is to explain, clarify, and
ultimately, to pass on your complaint.  If they ask critical questions or
seem to argue a point of policy with you, they are just doing their job.  If
you feel that the call rep is being argumentative, make a conscious effort
to dial back your own impulse to debate with them.  Remember that they are
merely the messenger writing down words in a cubical somewhere.  If you feel
that the call rep is not handling your call in an appropriate manner, you
have the option to ask for a supervisor.

Do not yell, use abusive language or be hostile.  If you are angry, wait a
few hours, or even a day, before calling.  RTD is obligated to act on every
complaint that they receive, but an abusive caller can cause the workers to
write off the incident in favor of the driver, using your recorded
conversation as a back-up.  This is exactly what happened the first day I
visited the call center.  I monitored a guy who received a call from a woman
who was very angry and abusive.  She claimed she'd received bad information
on a trip planner from a previous RTD call center worker.  One of her
initial comments was, "I will f**king own RTD!"  He talked to a supervisor,
they looked up the archive of her original complaint and decided that she
was the one who was in the wrong, not the RTD rep who previously took her
complaint.

This next part is important.  At the end of your call, the RTD rep should
give you a six-digit reference number.  This is your ID number for that
specific complaint.  Sometimes, the worker will volunteer the reference
number, but more often than not, they will forget to do it.  It is
imperative that you ask for a complaint reference number if they are about
to hang up and haven't already given it to you.  This number is your
insurance that your complaint will be processed and given an appropriate