[Colorado-talk] Blindness Simulation Research

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 21:11:21 UTC 2012

Hi all,
As some of you know, I am writing a dissertation this year about how
blindness simulation experiences affect people's attitudes about
blindness. Not surprisingly, I have found that brief simulations under
sleepshades (lasting 10-30 min) lead sighted college students to
conclude that blind people are less capable and competent.
I met with my examining committee last week, and they were all
encouraging me to test a variation where participants have an
experience of learning or mastery during the simulation. We would
predict that participants who experience learning or mastery over even
a short period of time while blindfolded would not display the
negative attitudes present among people who experience a more
traditional blindness simulation without opportunities for learning or
mastery.
I am writing to ask for any suggestions you may have about tasks or
exercises we could work into the brief simulations that would allow
the participants to experience improvement fairly quickly, like within
30 minutes or less. For example, is there a simple cane travel or
sorting task a participant could do where they could learn and improve
over a few trials under sleepshades? I am particularly interested in
hearing from those of you who have taught newly blind or sighted folks
under sleepshades when they are first starting out. Or, in your
experience, do you believe that a simulation must last for longer than
30 min for the participants to experience meaningful learning or
mastery?
I am hoping to begin collecting the data for this study by October 8,
so would appreciate your reply by September 28 if possible. I would
also be glad to chat by phone at
602-502-2255
Thanks for your help with this research, which the NFB deemed a
significant issue in the resolution on dinners in the dark that was
passed this year.
Best,
Arielle

Arielle Silverman, M.A.
Doctoral Candidate, Social Psychology
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience
345 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309-0345
Phone: 602-502-2255
Email: