[Colorado-talk] At Large Chapter August minutes and proposed constitution

Jessica Beecham jbeecham at cocenter.org
Mon Sep 10 20:10:14 UTC 2012

Hello Everyone

Attached you will find the minutes for our August At Large Chapter meeting.
You will also find a draft of the constitution we are working on.  If you
are a part of the At Large chapter and have suggestions about the
constitution, please bring those suggestions to the next At Large chapter
meeting on September 25th at 7:00PM. Call In number:  619-326-2700

Access Code:  3566475#  The minutes are also pasted below.

National Federation of the Blind

At Large Chapter Meeting Agenda

August 28, 2012

Call In number:   619-326-2700

Access Code:  3566475#

7:00PM-Round the Phone introductions (Buna Dahal)

Buna Dahal                 Centennial

Alice George               Loveland

Dana Robinson           Trinidad

Diana Chavez              Denver

Eric Woods                 Englewood

Jessica Beecham         Littleton

Jerry Phillips               Fort Collins

Jaime Federa               Englewood

June Mason                 Denver

Karen Norton              Fort Collins

Monique Melton         Denver

Scott LaBarre              Denver

Sandy Slike                 Pueblo

Zubie Devish               Meeker

7:15PM-State Convention (Scott LaBarre)

58th state convention is coming up Thursday Oct 25-Sunday Oct 28th in
Boulder at the Millennium Harvest House Hotel.  Convention was held there in
2010 and was the largest CO state convention with over 300 in attendance.
Room rates are 85.00 regardless of the number of individuals in the room.

Logistical detail. The state offers financial assistance and the deadline
for applying is September 17th.  Apply by contacting Scott's office
303-504-5979 and speak to Lisa Bonderson.  Lisa's e-mail is
lbonderson at labarrelaw.com.

The items that cost money for convention are the room, registration fees.

September 17th last day to request financial assistance

PREREGISTRATION BEGINS SEPTEMBER 15th

Registration fees $15.00

Friday luncheon $15.00

Saturday Luncheon $15.00

Saturday Banquet 30.00

PREREGISTRATION ENDS OCTOBER 15th

After pre-registration

Registration 20.00

Friday luncheon 20.00

Saturday luncheon 20.00

Saturday banquet 40.00

Convention is the annual meeting of the National Federation of the Blind of
Colorado.  There are social events, general sessions, break out events,
seminars, etc.  We are contemplating putting on a history seminar on
Thursday which will cover the history of the National Federation of the
Blind of Colorado.  This is a good refresher for individuals who are
familiar and a great session for people who are not familiar with the
history.  On Thursday night there will be some sort of social event and a
leadership session.  Last time the convention was in Boulder there was a big
bonfire in the fire pit outside the hotel.

Friday morning, registration opens and you can get your tickets and
convention badge.  Exhibit hall is open on Friday morning.  There are
usually about 12 venders at convention.  At 10:00am first general session
begins.  The general sessions address all kinds of issues from having
elected officials come to speak to individuals from vocational
rehabilitation.  This year we will have someone talking about our voting
rights.  We talk about the programs that we run including BELL.  We talk
about the CO Center for the Blind.  We will talk about the recent Goodwill
protests.  We will be putting together a video montage of the two protests.
We got a couple of good coverage in the press for Denver and Colorado
Springs.

There were over 90 protests across the country and a lot of press coverage
nation-wide.

We will talk about what is going on legislatively.  Our National
Representative will be giving a report.  Anil Lewis is our National
Representative this year.  He is the director of strategic initiatives at
the National Center.  He gives great speeches and is a fun guy to be around.
It will be great to have him throughout the weekend.  At the Colorado
Convention we always have a topic called My blindness Myself.  It is where a
panel speaks about blindness and the effect that it and the NFB has had on
their lives.  That is a flavor of what will happen during general sessions.
There will be a state presidential report.  Friday afternoon we will have
breakout sessions of all types from employment seminars to judo sessions you
never know what you will get!  We will have a chapter development seminar
for the chapter presidents.  Friday evening there is a big reception and it
is followed by a social event.  Two years ago there was a big costume party.
The Boulder chapter is planning a Hollywood themed costume party.
Resolutions committee will meet on Friday along with other committees.  On
Sunday morning when we have our business session we decide whether or not to
adopt the resolutions.

Saturday morning there is another general session followed by a luncheon.
The divisions typically meet on Saturday.  Saturday evening we have an
annual banquet that is the highlight and spiritual highpoint of the
convention.  We present scholarships and have a keynote address from the
National Rep.  There is usually social stuff going on after convention.
Sunday there is business meetings.  This is a sketch of what happens at
convention and we will be working over the next month to finalize the
agenda.  The agenda usually comes out around 10 days before convention.

BOULDR RAFFLE

The Boulder chapter is having a raffle that will offer the winner the chance
to win two nights in the convention hotel as well as registration costs.
The following links allow pay pall access to purchase tickets.  Tickets are
1 for $5.00 or 3 for $10.00.

To purchase one ticket for five dollars click

<https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=RXK78U
L6B5RQ6>
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=RXK78UL
6B5RQ6

To purchase three tickets for ten dollars click

<https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=6G7YHU
7JCD66Q>
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=6G7YHU7
JCD66Q

To purchase seven tickets for twenty dollars click

<https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YXYRZJ
BP3PF24>
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YXYRZJB
P3PF24

If you would like to make other purchasing arrangements or need assistance
with the site, please contact Maryann Migliorelli at 303-499-9125 or by
e-mail at  <mailto:maryannmigs at gmail.com> maryannmigs at gmail.com.

BOULDER TOUR SURVEY

The Boulder chapter is conducting a survey to find out which tours people
might be most interested in attending.  Visit the following link to complete
the survey.

www.surveymonkey.com/s/nfbco

7:45PM-At Large Chapter Constitution Finalization (Jessica Beecham)

Due to the fact that several members did not receive or did not find the
attached copy of the proposed constitution, the conversation has been
postponed to the September meeting.

7:50PM-Adjournment

Jessica Beecham

Chapter and Community Development Coordinator

National Federation of the Blind of Colorado

2233 West Shepperd Ave.

Littleton, CO 80120

 <mailto:jbeecham at nfbco.org> jbeecham at nfbco.org

303-778-1130 extension 223