[Colorado-talk] Fw: NFBC Convention Announcement

Lisa Bonderson lbonderson at cocenter.org
Wed Oct 6 16:33:16 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: Lisa Bonderson
To: Lorinda Riddle
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 4:05 PM
Subject: NFBC Convention Announcement

Boo!

It's Almost Here!!

Halloween weekend!

Pass this important announcement along to everyone!

Ghosts, goblins, witches, warlocks, and mere mortals; people of all ages who are blind, visually impaired/low-vision, families and everyone who work in the fields of rehabilitation and education of the blind are cordially invited to be a part of the State Convention Event of the year!

The National Federation of the Blind-Colorado State Convention, symposia and Masquerade Ball is being held Thursday afternoon, October 28th, through Sunday morning, October 31st! It will be held at the Boulder Millennium Harvest House Hotel at 1345 Twenty-Eighth Street in beautiful Boulder, CO! Room rates for this First-class hotel are an unbelievably low $84 per night.

We do not believe blindness is scary, so come and catch our spirit of opportunity and optimism! The Convention Planning is nearly finalized and we are counting on your involvement! You can be a part of unmasking a new reality for those who are blind or have low-vision, regardless of age or life circumstance.  Among many other special aspects of this Convention, we are pleased to announce that Dr. Marc Maurer, our national President, will be joining us as this year's national representative.

THURSDAY AFTERNOON

Thursday, our Boulder NFB chapter is conducting tours of places of interest to our community starting at noon and returning by 6:00 p.m.  The tour will start at the Audio Information

Network of Colorado, travel to the Unseen Bean and then split in two.  Participants will then be able to choose between visiting National Center for Atmospheric Research or Celestial Seasonings.  For more information and to make a reservation, contact Lisa Bonderson at lbonderson at labarrelaw.com or 303 504-5979.  A $20.00 per person fee will be charged to defray the cost of transportation.

THURSDAY EVENING

Thursday evening, we will conduct our statewide board meeting and leadership activity.  This will be an old-fashioned Halloween bonfire. Attendance is limited and registration for this event is separate from regular convention registration.  Please contact Lisa Bonderson at lbonderson at labarrelaw.com or 303 504-5979.  The cost for this event is $20.00.  The evening will begin with a social hour at 6:00 and then transition into an open NFB Colorado Board Meeting focused on philosophical and leadership matters.

FRIDAY MORNING

Friday morning, October 29th, opens with registration and a show case for our Convention sponsors and exhibiters at 8:00 a.m.  You will be able to check the latest and greatest in low tech and high tech devices and services for the blind.  Exhibit tables will be open throughout the Convention, but Friday morning is the only exclusive time for these activities.

At 10:00 a.m., we will gavel to order the first general session of the Convention followed by a luncheon.  We will hear from DVR officials, Colorado Talking Book personnel, participants from the Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind, the Chairman of the Colorado Commission for Individuals Who Are Blind and Visually Impaired, leaders from the Colorado Department of Education, and others involved in work with the blind.

FRIDAY AFTERNOON

Friday afternoon will feature breakout sessions.  Currently, the docket of seminars includes a technology and employment seminar, a hands on science seminar for blind youth and parents of blind youth, a session designed for teachers of blind children and rehabilitation counselors focusing on transition issues, a meeting for deaf blind individuals, and a demonstration of art for the blind and continuing exhibits.

FRIDAY EVENING

Friday evening focuses on some Convention business with the Resolutions Committee considering the ongoing policies of the NFB Colorado.  However, a big part of Friday night will be focused on fun and fundraising. We will put on a heavy hors d' oeuvres reception, a Halloween carnival and costume contest, and a fundraising auction.  Do your best to impress our costume contest judges because the winner of the contest will receive air fare and hotel to the 2011 Convention of the National Federation of the Blind in Orlando.  The Auction will raise money for NFB Newsline and our youth programs.  Many excellent items will be available such as a $350.00 gift certificate to American Furniture Warehouse, hotel and dining packages throughout the state, a trip on the Durango Silverton old fashioned steam engine, several tickets to Comedy Works, and much, much more.  Perhaps the most exciting item will be a dinner for up to ten people prepared and served by culinary experts Anahit LaBarre, Buna Dahal, and Julie Deden.  To top it all off, live music for this dinner extravaganza will be performed by Stray Dog.  Wear your best costume; bring your cash; and most of all, have fun!

SATURDAY MORNING

 Saturday morning, October 30th, we will have a jam packed general session focusing on a national report given by our National President, Dr. Marc Maurer and a Presidential Report delivered by our State President, Scott LaBarre.  We will receive an update on the exciting and inspiring work of our Colorado Center for the Blind.  We are delighted to announce that Gary Wunder, Editor of the Braille Monitor, will discuss the history and importance of the leading monthly national publication of issues affecting the blind.  The personal stories of three of our members will be featured in the always inspiring panel we call, My Blindness, Myself.  These items and more will leave you feeling refreshed and reenergized, ready to head out into the afternoon specialty sessions.

SATURDAY AFTERNOON

Saturday afternoon begins with a boxed lunch that you will grab and then go to your choice of a number of specialty sessions.  We are pleased to announce that the Colorado Business Enterprise Program is co-locating its annual meeting of Randolph-Sheppard licensed managers at our convention from noon to 5:00 on Saturday afternoon.  The Colorado Association of Blind Students, Colorado Parents of Blind Children, and the Colorado Blind Seniors Division will all hold their annual business meetings in the afternoon.

SATURDAY EVENING

The high point of each Convention is the Annual Banquet.  We will begin the festivities at 6:00 p.m. with a social hour.  At 7:00 p.m., the Banquet proper will begin.  The keynote address will be delivered by Dr. Marc Maurer, President, National Federation of the Blind.  Our 2010 scholarship awards will be presented.  Outstanding contributions of members will be recognized by presentation of the Ray McGeorge Award and others.  Following the program, light entertainment and refreshments will set the atmosphere for continuing celebration.

SUNDAY MORNING

Sunday morning will be the closing general session for the 56th Annual Convention of the NFB of Colorado.  We will take a number of items highlighting the great work of our members performed throughout the state.  We will also address the business of the organization such as adopting resolutions, conducting elections, and going over the financial reports.  By 11:47 a.m., we will have adjourned and completed another successful Convention of the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado.

HOTEL RESERVATIONS

There is definitely room for you at our annual State Convention. The Millennium Harvest House Hotel is nestled in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains with spectacular views of the Boulder Creek Path, hotel gardens and the Rocky Mountains. With not only dining, but a wide array of outdoor and indoor activities, the Millennium Harvest House Hotel also boasts a cigar bar, fitness center, sports bar, and high speed internet connectivity. The Millennium Harvest House Hotel is adjacent to the University of Colorado, the 29th Street retail district and just minutes from downtown Boulder and the Historic Pearl Street Mall.

For hotel room Reservations you may use one of the following methods:

On-Line:  The following link will enable you to make reservations via the internet: https://gc.synxis.com/rez.aspx?Hotel=11538&Chain=5303&Dest=USA&Iocale=en-US&arrive=12/10/2009&depart=12/11/2009&adult=1&child=0&Group=1010BLINDC;

or you can go to the hotel

Website:  http://www.millenniumhotels.com/boulder (enter the group code 1010BLINDC where prompted)

E-Mail:  You may e-mail your reservation request to:

millboulderres at mill-usa.com

Telephone:  You may call the hotel toll free at (800) 545-6285

The room block will be available for booking until Tuesday, October 5th, 2010.  After that point, we will do our best to secure you a room at convention rates.  Please contact Lisa Bonderson, lbonderson at labarrelaw.com or 303 504-5979, if you are having troubles getting a room.

REGISTRATION

In order to receive the low room rates, and to take advantage of all Convention activities, you will need to register for the Convention. We will be taking Convention registrations by phone or online through Friday, October 15th.  On or before the 15th, the Registration Fee is $15.00, the Friday Luncheon $15.00, the Saturday Boxed Lunch $15.00, and the Saturday Evening Banquet $30, for a total of $75.00.  At the door, the Registration is $20.00, the lunches $20.00 each, and the Banquet $40, for a total of $100.00.  To register, go to www.nfbco.org and follow the links for the 56th Annual Convention or call Lisa Bonderson at 303 504-5979.

CHILDCARE

We will be offering childcare throughout the Convention.  Many activities will be planned for the kiddos such as Halloween costume building and other arts and crafts.  At the beginning of the Banquet on Saturday Evening, the youngsters will wow us with a costume parade.  Light snacks will be available in childcare but parents are responsible for either bringing or taking their child/children to meals.  There is no extra cost for childcare, but you must register your child/children for the Convention and also tell our coordinator, Michelle Chacon, that you want to reserve a place/places for your children.  You can contact Michelle at 720 240-1074.

GENERALLY

Don't be scared.  Our Convention won't be too spooky.  Join us in Boulder and help us take the fear out of blindness for everybody!  For more information, please contact, Scott C. LaBarre, President, NFB Colorado, at slabarre at nfbco.org or 303 504-5979.