[Colorado-talk] SNL Clip of Gov. Paterson skit

RyanO ryano218 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 17 23:18:53 UTC 2008

Chris, I certainly don't know this for a fact, but my guess is that
Paterson's political advisors thought his self-deprecating humor about his
blindness could only help him in his circumstances. We blind are well aware
that the easiest way to make sighted people laugh is to joke about our
blindness. I'm sure there are many psychological layers to this issue, not
the least of which is that it helps to ease the awkward tension that sighted
people feel when interacting with us.

Unfortunately, as you say, Paterson's humor came back to bite him. Without
publicly demonstrating positive examples of his views about his blindness to
counter his jokes, he left himself wide open.

I am not defending SNL at all. This skit, along with Blindness the movie
still make me wonder why it is so acceptable to kick one minority while
giving so many others a pass. Still, I think Paterson's credibility has to
come into question a little bit here. What work has he done on behalf of
disability groups (blind or otherwise) to bolster his outrage at the sniping
from SNL?

RyanO