[Colorado-talk] SNL Clip of Gov. Paterson skit

Angela Long angela at sextanttech.net
Wed Dec 17 20:04:45 UTC 2008

If his political advisors are sighted, they probably don't think that what
he says is a bog deal. I don't know that this guy loathes his own blindness
though. It's possible he wasn't given the opportunity to learn cane usage or
Braille and now he just doesn't think about it. He could have been like me
and thousands of other people with low vision. We were taught to use the
sight we had and never offered opportunities to learn blindness skills. I
never even picked up a cane before the age of 13 and I've had low vision all
my life. If he went to school in the late 60's and early 70's you can bet he
didn't get any assistance or blindness skills training, and, in fact, may
have been taught to down play his blindness to seem more "normal". Maybe the
NFB should approach him and offer some assistance. I mean his comments about
the SNL skit hurting the blind community and his knowledge of some of our
issues shows me that the guy isn't uncaring or unfeeling. He just doesn't
know there are resources out there for him.

Angela K. Long
PRESIDENT

A CERTIFIED 8(A) PROGRAM PARTICIPANT
Phone: 303-339-2048