[CCCNFBW] PDX launches app offering audio, visual directions to help travelers navigate airport

Merribeth Greenberg merribeth.manning at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 19:15:00 UTC 2023

PDX launches app offering audio, visual directions to help travelers
navigate airport

by KATU Staff
Tuesday, January 10th 2023

PORTLAND, Ore. — A new indoor navigation app launched at the Portland
International Airport
<https://katu.com/search?find=Portland%20International%20Airport> to help
all travelers safely get around PDX.

GoodMaps Explore is similar to a car GPS, giving people turn-by-turn
directions through their phone speakers or on the screen.

The technology can help travelers, including those who are blind or deaf,
get around safely and independently

“The purpose really is to have navigation indoors like people are used to
outdoors. I want to put in my gate, I want to know what 'points of
interest' are along the way, and how do I get there independently without
having to ask strangers or to have to wait for somebody to come help me,”
said Mike May, the ‘Chief Evangelist’ for GoodMaps Explore.

PDX is the second airport to partner with GoodMaps Explore. The technology
is also being used at rail stations in the U.K. and some hospitals.

The app is intended to offer users more freedom and context while in a
location, making it more inclusive for all people.

"My dog is for mobility, or if I have a cane, that's for obstacle detection
and guiding me around things," May said. "But the dog, unfortunately, can't
yet read print signs. So I got to have another way of doing that."

The app said its accuracy can bring users within a couple feet of locations
with audio and visual directions.

In the future, the company hopes to expand to other locations, like malls
and museums.

The app is available for free on IOS and Android devices
<https://www.goodmaps.com/apps/explore>.

PDX launches app offering audio, visual directions to help travelers
navigate airport | KATU
<https://katu.com/news/local/pdx-launches-app-offering-audio-visual-directions-to-help-travelers-visually-impaired-navigate-portland-international-airport-oregon?utm_source=sfmc&utm_medium=email&sfmc_id=570056&utm_guid=39e3143e-e602-4a8b-97d6-8d76498daad3&utm_campaign=>

Beth Greenberg