[BlindRUG] Difficulties with the WriteR package.

Godfrey, Jonathan A.J.Godfrey at massey.ac.nz
Thu Oct 25 01:41:19 UTC 2018

Hello Shey,

Thank you for the comprehensive description of your troubles with WriteR.
I do know what the problem is. The file you have already been working on includes utf-8 characters. WriteR isn't ready to deal with them yet. You could open the Rmd file in notepad and re-save a new version that uses ANSI encoding. Look under "save as" for your options.

The one point I need clarification on is if you have the latest version of BrailleR and WriteR. I ask because you are running an older version of R (3.4.3). I recommend updating R before getting the latest version of BrailleR from CRAN. You should be able  to run the following commands:
  library(installr)
  updateR(TRUE)

and after starting a new session of R which will now be using the updated version:

  chooseCRANmirror(ind=1)
  install.packages("BrailleR")

You are successfully starting a new file and it is being rendered successfully. The second window says "done", but the other elements you provided show me it is an older version of WriteR. Installing the new BrailleR package will resolve this, and perhaps a few other things.

It is clear to me that to have made it as far as you have, that Python is playing nicely for you. That is usually the biggest hurdle so you're well on your way.

HTH,
Jonathan