[NFBWATlk] Job: Civil Rights Compliance Program Supervisor Olympia - Governmentjobs.com - May 7, 2021

Nightingale, Noel Noel.Nightingale at ed.gov
Tue May 25 20:56:53 UTC 2021

https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/3092145/civil-rights-compliance-program-supervisor
Civil Rights Compliance Program Supervisor
Job Description
Governmentjobs.com
May 7, 2021

Salary
$70,989.00 - $83,517.00 Annually
Location
Multiple Locations Statewide, WA
Job Type
Full Time - Permanent
Department
Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
Job Number
2021-05074
Closing
Continuous

WASHINGTON MANAGEMENT SERVICE

JOB ANNOUNCEMENT

Civil Rights Compliance Program Supervisor
 $70,989 - 83,517  annually
 Continuous Recruitment

Initial screening will begin May 28,2021

The Washington State Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) seeks a Civil Rights Compliance Program Supervisor (Equity and Civil Rights Program Supervisor) to join the OSPI team. This full-time position is primarily based in Olympia, Washington, with the possibility of some telecommuting or hybrid work. We encourage interested candidates to visit the OSPI website to gain insight into our agency.

About OSPI and our initiatives

OSPI is the primary agency charged with overseeing public K-12 education in Washington state. Working with the state's 295 public school districts and 6 state-tribal education compact schools, OSPI allocates funding and provides tools, resources, and technical assistance so every student in Washington is provided a high-quality public education.

At OSPI, we recognize that our employees are the key to the success of the agency. We are committed to our work but value the balance with our personal lives. We demonstrate our commitment to employees by providing an environment that stimulates professional growth and values them for their expertise. OSPI is a great place to work and has several initiatives to help create a great working environment, including:

  *   We support a healthy work/life balance by offering flexible/alternative work schedules and mobile and telework options. (Depending on job duties and work location.)
  *   We have an Infant at Work Program that is based on long-term values of newborns and infant-parent bonding. Eligible employees who are new parents or legal guardians can bring their infant (six weeks to six months) when returning to work. (Depending on job duties and work location.)
  *   We value and are actively involved in promoting diversity, equity and inclusion within OSPI by way of cross-divisional, collaborative committee. The focus of the committee includes employee engagement and education; reinforcing OSPI values; and maximizing the value of diversity and identifying strategies for inclusion.

Vision, Mission, and Values
 Vision: All students prepared for post-secondary pathways, careers, and civic engagement.

 Mission: Transform K-12 education to a system that is centered on closing opportunity gaps and is characterized by high expectations for all students and educators. We achieve this by developing equity-based policies and supports that empower educators, families, and communities.

Values: Ensuring Equity, Collaboration and Service, Achieving Excellence through Continuous Improvement, Focus on the Whole Child

Equity
 Each student, family, and community possesses strengths and cultural knowledge that benefits their peers, educators, and schools. Ensuring educational equity:

  *   Goes beyond equality; it requires education leaders to examine the ways current policies and practices result in disparate outcomes for our students of color, students living in poverty, students receiving special education and English Learner services, students who identify as LGBTQ+, and highly mobile student populations.
  *   Requires education leaders to develop an understanding of historical contexts; engage students, families, and community representatives as partners in decision-making; and actively dismantle systemic barriers, replacing them with policies and practices that ensure all students have access to the instruction and support they need to succeed in our schools.

Position Overview

The Equity and Civil Rights Office is a professional and inclusive work environment where teamwork, high quality legal and customer service, and work-life balance are highly valued. The Equity and Civil  Rights Office work includes a diverse mix of monitoring and investigations, policy and resource development, and technical assistance. The Equity and Civil Rights Office leads some of OSPI's most critical initiatives, including gender-inclusive schools, language access, and systemic approaches to preventing racial and disability discrimination in student discipline. Through these activities and initiatives, the Equity and Civil Rights Office works to build school districts' capacity to eliminate discrimination.

The primary role of the Equity and Civil Rights Program Supervisor is to monitor school districts' compliance with state and federal civil rights laws and investigate discrimination complaints. The program supervisor also provides support and information to help parents, students, and educators understand civil rights laws, regulations and responsibilities, and to identify potential issues and options. Collaboration, neutrality, legal analysis and problem-solving, and effective and accurate communication are essential to this position.

In this role, the program supervisor does not serve as an advocate but as a resource to families, educators, and OSPI staff to answer questions regarding civil rights matters and assist in resolving issues of discrimination. The program supervisor coordinates with other OSPI departments, school districts, state and federal agencies, and other organizations to effectively accomplish this work. These responsibilities affect the continued federal funding for the state.

This position involves some travel in the state for training and monitoring activities. This position is supervised by the Managing Attorney of the Equity and Civil Rights Office.

A strong candidate for this position is an attorney or experienced investigator with a demonstrated commitment to civil rights and public service.

Key Responsibilities

  *   Provide technical assistance, information, and resources regarding civil rights requirements in a professional, legally accurate, and approachable manner to schools, parents, advocates, and other interested parties
  *   Respond to allegations and complaints of discrimination by students, parents, employees, and others; investigate complaints; and facilitate resolutions
  *   Coordinate and conduct monitoring of K-12 school compliance with state and federal civil rights laws through on-site compliance reviews, desk reviews, and other methods as needed. Identify issues of noncompliance, outline corrective actions, and help to ensure that schools comply with any required corrective actions as a result of program review and monitoring activities
  *   Identify, research, and analyze potential discriminatory policies, procedures, and practices in the K-12 sector, including researching and analyzing state and federal nondiscrimination statutes, regulations, guidance, and case law
  *   Design and lead trainings for schools, parents, advocates, and other stakeholders regarding civil rights, school district responsibilities, complaint procedures, and OSPI services
  *   Design and prepare guidance, bulletins, reports, tools, and other resources that support the work of the Equity and Civil Rights Office
  *   Collaborate and consult with state and federal agencies, professional and advocacy organizations, and other OSPI departments

Required Qualifications:

  *   Law degree from an accredited law school OR
  *   Master's degree or higher in K-12 education, public administration, law, or related field, and three years of experience in investigations or legal analysis, preferably in civil rights

Desired Qualifications:

  *   Experience conducting investigations, including investigation planning, conducting interviews, legal analysis, and report writing
  *   Experience working in the K-12 education system and knowledge of OSPI's role
  *   Knowledge of state and federal nondiscrimination laws and regulations, and understanding of civil rights issues affecting school districts
  *   Ability to analyze complex problems and legal issues and develop practical solutions
  *   Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to deliver technical and legal information clearly and concisely in writing and verbally in both formal and informal settings, including public speaking
  *   Experience in active listening and responding to parent and student concerns or complaints, preferably in regards to issues of discrimination, equal access, or disability (Section 504 or special education)
  *   Experience communicating legal concepts to a range of individuals (such as parents, youth, and school professionals) in writing, by phone, and in person
  *   Knowledge of mediation, conflict resolution, or alternative dispute resolution skills
  *   Knowledge and experience in effective program planning, and in developing training programs
  *   Strong skills in the use of technology for presentations, data collection, and communication
  *   Knowledge of the responsibilities of state education agencies and the roles and responsibilities of other agencies
  *   The ability to work independently and in a team setting
  *   Ability to travel statewide

Compensation
 The annual compensation for the position is $70,989 - $83,517 per year and depends upon experience, educational background, and qualifications. Geographic differentials may be applied based on work location of successful candidate. Washington State offers a generous benefit package including health, dental and life insurance, retirement and an optional deferred compensation program. Please visit Health Care Authority for information regarding health benefits and the Department of Retirement Systems for retirement plan information. This is a Washington Management Position. This position is not represented by a bargaining unit.

Application Process

Those interested in this position must apply through Careers.wa.gov. Applications must include the following documents in MS Word and PDF format only:

  *   A letter of interest specifically addressing the qualifications listed in this announcement;
  *   A current résumé, and;
  *   A list of three or more professional references.

Please address any questions to:
Theresa Ellsworth, Human Resources

Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
600 Washington Street Southeast
Olympia, Washington 98504-7200
(360) 725-6066; Theresa.Ellsworth at k12.wa.us<mailto:Theresa.Ellsworth at k12.wa.us>

Persons needing accommodation in the application process or this announcement in an alternative format may contact the Human Resources Office at (360) 725-6270 or (360) 725-6066, or e-mail hroffice at k12.wa.us<mailto:hroffice at k12.wa.us>.

New Jobs Alert Service

OSPI offers a subscription service, which regularly notifies subscribers of new OSPI employment opportunities on careers.wa.gov. Subscribers are notified via text or email alert. If you are interested in this service, then please subscribe at this location.

OSPI is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from job seekers who will contribute to our diversity. OSPI provides equal access to all programs and services without discrimination based on sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, honorably discharged veteran or military status, sexual orientation including gender expression or identity, the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal by a person with a disability. If you would like, please include your name and gender pronouns in your application, to ensure we address you appropriately throughout the application process. Persons needing accommodation in the application process or this announcement in an alternative format may contact the human resource consultant listed in "Application Process."