[NFBWATlk] Washington's public universities will no longer require the SAT or ACT. Will admissions become more equitable? - Seattle Times - May 20, 2021

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Thu May 20 20:44:16 UTC 2021

Fascinating discussion.  I did high school math without a textbook, relying
on a friend to read the equations to me.  Consequently, I didn't learn
Nemith code. I was thrilled to get my ACT test in Braille, only to discover
that I couldn't read the math.  (I was expecting it to be in an older
version of math code, silly me.)  As a result, I was tracked into remedial
math.  It meant an easy 5 hour A.  I later decided to take more math, and
did reasonably well until I hit calculus, which was beyond the regular math
requirement.  I was fortunate in that my other indicators were positive
enough for the admissions department to allow me on campus even though my
math scores were abysmal. If they had been rigid about evaluating me
primarily on my ACT scores, I might have had more difficulty getting
accepted.

I think high stakes tests can be useful indications of test taking ability,
and perhaps of general educational achievement.  Maybe the problem is that
they are high stakes, instead of one among many indicators.