[NFBWATLK] very sad news

Marci Carpenter mjc59 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 4 00:54:14 UTC 2019

I am shocked and heartbroken to share with you the news of the sudden death Saturday night of our colleague and friend Rachel Olivero. I have no details right now but will post more information when I have it. I would ask that you keep Rachel’s family, especially her partner Karen Anderson, and also our colleagues at the NFB Jernigan Institute in your thoughts and prayers.

Whether or not you had met Rachel in person you were touched by her work in the Federation. She worked on our new website design, taught many of us about using technology in our legislative efforts. helped set up the headquarters room at Washington Seminar and did much more to further our mission behind the scenes. Rachel had a great sense of humor. I will definitely miss her.

Here are some of President Riccobono’s words: “Within our movement a core value we share is love. That we open our hearts to each other is what makes our work together so meaningful. That we open our hearts to each other also means that we feel the pain in a real way when we experience a loss in our family, especially one as bright and powerful as Rachel Olivero. Thank you for your openness to the bond that we share together."