[NFBWATLK] Press Release: U.S. Department of Education Launches New Website Accessibility Technical Assistance Initiative, Ed.gov, May 17, 2018

Jamal Mazrui jamal at empowermentzone.com
Sat May 26 20:34:15 UTC 2018

Thanks for sharing this, Noel.  Of course, this is not a criticism of
your work at the Department of Education, but I am dismayed by this
press release in a few ways.

There is no mention of why web accessibility is important to
implementation of national laws including Section 508, Section 504, and
IDEA.  No reference is made to teaching the international standard
called the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (W3C), which now applies
to all federal agencies, including Ed websites. Nothing is said about
technical assistance materials that are already available, which could
supplement the upcoming webinars announced.

In short, although a few webinars are presumably better than none, this
press release illuminates the current ignorance of this federal agency
regarding the field of web accessibility.  The same agency once was one
of the federal leaders in the subject.  A frustrating regression!

Jamal