[NFBWATLK] Automated Restaurant sued over lack of access for blind customers

Mary ellen gabias at telus.net
Mon Mar 27 18:19:11 UTC 2017

Interesting article, especially the follow-up.  The restaurant claims it has
accessibility features built in to its software.  One of the methods they
recommend is working with the worker in the front of the restaurant, but
they do claim the technology itself is accessible.

I can't help wonder whether the restaurant is lying or the plaintiffs in the
lawsuit didn't take the time to try to negotiate with the restaurant before
launching the lawsuit.

It's likely that automated service will be more and more common.  My local
grocery store already has self-check-out stations.  I observe that my sons
like using them, as do many young people, while older people opt for a
traditional cashier.  There was a time when one could decide between a gas
station attendant and filling one's own tank.  Now that choice is gone.
People in wheelchairs are having great difficulty finding gas stations with
attendants.  This makes me think that I should talk with my grocery store
about the desirability of building access into their automated check-out
lines.  Of course, it is very inefficient to attempt to shop independently
for most grocery items.  Produce works, but bagged and boxed items are hard
to distinguish by touch.  It would be possible to use a bar code scanner,
but that strikes me as extremely inefficient.  The best method still appears
to be to go to customer service and work with a human being.  That human
being can operate the automated check-out. I still ask to go through a line
with a human cashier because I hate to think of those jobs being automated
out of existence.