[NFBWATLK] Blind Lieutenant Governor

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Sat Jan 7 16:54:41 UTC 2017

I knew they were working on this but hadn't heard the outcome. Sue
mentioned it to me tonight, and here's the article for your interest:

The state is implementing a new braille system to accomodate incoming
lieutenant governor Cyrus Habib. (Photo: KING)

OLYMPIA, Wash. - The state is implementing a new braille system in the
Senate to accommodate incoming lieutenant governor, Cyrus Habib, who
is blind.

The Lieutenant Governor of the State of Washington has a very
important responsibility in the State Senate; he or she controls the
debate and calls on
senators to speak or introduce bills.

That role has always been oral. When a senator wishes to speak, he or
she stands up and asks for the floor. However, there was an unusual
challenge facing
the Senate with Habib.

To prepare for his position, he worked with staffers to install a
brand new braille system.

Each senator now has a control panel at his or her desk that triggers
his or her name to be displayed in braille at the podium.

"It was a very unique situation," said Paul Campos, deputy secretary
of the senate, who explained the system took seven months to install
and cost $70,000.

Habib tested the system Thursday, and staffers reported it worked very well.

Becky Frankeberger
Butterfly Knitting
-  Ponchos
-  Afghans