[nfbwatlk] Washington State Bar Association expands opportunities

Elizabeth Rene rene0373 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 17:04:25 UTC 2016

Hi all,
Just wanted to pass along a couple of notes from the WSBA:
With the approval of the Washington State Supreme Court, two new classes of membership have opened up to those who want to provide legal services without becoming fully licensed lawyers. This will help to expand access to justice for those who cannot afford legal assistance.
As of this summer, new Admission and Practice Rules and WSBA bylaws allow Limited Practice Officers (LPOs) and Limited License Legal Technicians (LLLTs) to offer services to the public normally defined as part of the practice of law. If you are interested in serving as an LPO or LLLT, check out wsba.org to learn about licensing requirements and possible practice opportunities.

This August, the WSBA Board of Governors named me Chair of the Character and Fitness Board.
This board holds hearings and makes recommendations to the Supreme Court regarding the admission or reinstatement to the practice of law of persons whose patterns of conduct raise questions about their good moral character and fitness to practice law in Washington. I've served on this board for the last two years, and have one more year to go before my term expires. Last Friday, October 14, I presided at my first Character and Fitness Hearing as Chair.

The law is a wonderful profession that can be even more gratifying for a blind person to practice now with so many improvements in technology available to us. Our state bar association is working hard to promote diversity and to elevate all interested persons – including those of us with disabilities – to positions of leadership. If you are interested in becoming a lawyer, an LPO, or an LLLT, or would like to work in a law office as a legal assistant or paralegal, or serve the court as a clerk or court reporter or administrator behind the scenes, drop me a line. When I was in college and wanted to be a lawyer, so many people encouraged me that I want to pass along the support. Get in touch, and we can share our stories, hopes, and dreams for the legal profession and for justice in America.  If you need a lawyer but don't feel you can afford one, drop me a line and I can let you know about the low-cost/no cost options available to you.
Thanks, and a belated happy Blind Americans Equality Day!

Elizabeth M René
Attorney at Law
WSBA #10710
KCBA #21824