[nfbwatlk] FW: [wtbbl] WTBBL's Fall 2016 "Reading Matters" newsletter is here!

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon Oct 17 18:30:21 UTC 2016

From: WTBBL [mailto:wtbbl at list.statelib.wa.gov]
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 8:59 AM
To: MICHAEL FREEMAN
Subject: [wtbbl] WTBBL's Fall 2016 "Reading Matters" newsletter is here!

Reading Matters is provided in text, pdf, Web-Braille and audio versions on
our website at  <http://www.wtbbl.org/newsletter.aspx>
http://www.wtbbl.org/newsletter.aspx.

READING MATTERS

Fall 2016

David Junius, Editor

Washington Talking Book & Braille Library

2021 9th Avenue, Seattle, WA 98121-2783

8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday

Phone: 206-615-0400 • State-wide toll free: 1-800-542-0866

wtbbl at sos.wa.gov • www.wtbbl.org

THAT ALL MAY READ...

********

>From the Director by Danielle Miller

        Summer has been busy for everyone at WTBBL, and fall shows no sign
of slowing down. Youth Services, especially with the summer reading program,
has been humming along. Our Audio Book Production Department is also very
active, in part because my vision of expanding languages offered in local
book production is becoming a reality. We are now recording audio books in
Spanish with a growing team of narrators and reviewers, allowing us to add
to our collection and increase outreach to Washington’s Hispanic community.
In fact, Paco Díaz, our first narrator, is in this issue’s volunteer
spotlight. Our first book in Spanish will be Hoyos (Holes) by Louis Sachar,
DBC 6754.

        For the fourth year, we are producing the state Voters’ Pamphlet in
audio, and it is the biggest one yet, printing at over 330 pages. For our
narrators, that’s the size of a pretty decent book, but with a serious
deadline. Producing the pamphlet reflects our mission of providing equal
access to information. Removing barriers to information that is so important
to participation in the election process protects voter rights.

        WTBBL is a program of the Washington State Library, which is headed
by the State Librarian. Until recently, Deputy Secretary of State Greg Lane
had been serving as acting State Librarian. I want to thank Greg for all the
support he gave to me and to WTBBL staff, patrons and the service overall.
As we move into fall, my favorite season, often seen as one of transition,
we welcome Cindy Aden as our new State Librarian. Cindy has already shown
great interest and enthusiasm, and I think we can look forward to exciting
things on the horizon and having an engaging leader who can spread the word
about WTBBL throughout the state.

********

>From Cindy Aden, State Librarian

Dear WTBBL Community,

        I am pleased to be able to address you as the new Washington State
Librarian. At this writing, it is the middle of my sixth week — and there is
still so much to learn. But, a few things have already been emphatically
communicated to me about the responsibilities of my new role. Chief among
them, the WTBBL staff has made it clear what an important mandate it has to
serve those who cannot read standard print and how important the full
support of the State Library is in providing this service.

        I was recently invited to WTBBL to have a tour and to meet the
entire staff and to hear its stories. The library is an inspiring place, I
have to admit, and it's very impressive to be someplace where every person
knows why they are there and embraces the importance of their contribution.
It reminds me of the story that used to be told years ago about the janitor
at NASA. When a touring group of senators encountered a janitor mopping a
floor, they asked him, “What do you do here for NASA?” The janitor replied,
“Why, I'm putting a man on the moon!” That kind of focus and shared mission
is apparent at WTBBL.

        While I am only just starting at the State Library, I am no stranger
to Washington libraries. I got my start in librarianship after several years
of community journalism in California and in Kirkland and Edmonds, where I
was the managing editor of weekly newspapers. I attended the University of
Washington for my graduate studies in library science. When I graduated I
successfully competed for an internship at the Library of Congress, where I
spent two years learning all about the Library and serving as a
Congressional reference librarian.

I left the Library of Congress to return to the Northwest, where the
University of Washington recruited me to be a reference librarian in the
graduate library. After six years there, I had an opportunity to serve as
head of circulation in the law library — a management opportunity I could
not pass up.

Following two years in that position, I was recruited to be an associate
director at Kitsap Regional Library. It was such a change to serve in a
public library, where titles are weeded instead of saved forever! I loved
that position, but after two years of riding the ferry an hour each way,
every day, I had to find a position closer to home and to my very young
children. Amazon.com was looking for someone with library skills who could
tolerate the chaos of a busy start-up, and I jumped in as its first
librarian.

        Six years later, I stumbled out of Amazon and into a job at Corbis,
the image company owned by Bill Gates that was just recently sold. After a
few years there, OCLC, the world’s largest library cooperative, recruited me
to manage relationships with non-library companies. I got to work with
Google, Yahoo, Wikipedia, Goodreads and other companies large and small that
wanted to work with libraries and have access to that rich library data. I
left OCLC and was happy to be given the opportunity to use all that I have
learned, working for and with libraries, in this new role.

        So you see, I come to this position full of enthusiasm and
experiences that I am eager to use to make the Washington State Library a
significant contributor to the well-being of every citizen of Washington by
providing literary and informational support. I look forward to more
opportunities to meet all of you, who are such important supporters of
WTBBL. Thank you for all you do to make WTBBL such an outstanding part of
our community. You have so much to be proud of.

********

WTBBL Appreciates SightConnection! by Tyler Kaye

        Sudden vision loss can be an uncertain and even fearful experience.
Previously routine tasks such as driving, reading and doing work around the
house can become major challenges. Depression and a sense of isolation can
settle in.

It’s the job of Jeffrey Gerhardstein to help people cope with the changes.
Jeffrey is a social worker with SightConnection, a nonprofit agency serving
over a thousand clients each year in the Puget Sound region. He spends much
of his time on the road making home visits to people who have recently begun
losing their vision or have moved into a new living environment.

During the visit, Jeffrey offers a listening ear, assesses the client’s
needs, and discusses community resources that can help him or her adapt. He
may connect the person with local paratransit services. They may talk about
support groups in the area. Other specialized services from SightConnection
might be arranged, such as orientation and mobility training, in-home vision
rehabilitation, and assistive technology.

After years in the field of community mental health, Jeffrey joined
SightConnection in 2007. “The community that is formed around low vision is
very strong,” he said. “They had a way of saying thank you and reeling me
in.

“When I started working, I had never heard of a talking book machine.” He
soon discovered that many of his clients would have stacks of talking books
close at hand. “People continue to do what they love, and the library is
making sure they don’t give up on those independent living skills,” said
Jeffrey.

Introducing people to WTBBL is an important part of the work Jeffrey and his
colleagues do at SightConnection. Last year, they referred nearly 200 new
users to the library. “There’s nothing like pulling out the talking book
player and watching people learn,” he said.

        For more information about SightConnection and its services, visit
sightconnection.org or call (800) 458-4888.

********

Youth Services Update by Marian Mays

        Happy new school year! It’s been an exciting summer here in the
WTBBL Youth Services Department. My favorite memory of the summer was
watching several WTBBL youth participate in the Challenge Air Fly Day event
at Paine Field in Everett. Challenge Air was created in 1993 by Rick Amber
to change the perception of children with special needs through flight.
Several “fly days” per year are organized by the nonprofit in cities around
the nation. These unique events give youth with disabilities the chance to
fly in private planes with a guardian and another family member or friend.

        After flying, youth were greeted by a cheering crowd before
receiving their co-pilot certificate and pin. What impacted me most about
this event was the passion and willingness to serve among the event
volunteers. Even the Challenge Air pilots were volunteering their planes,
fuel, and time! It was a great experience, and I can’t wait to represent
WTBBL at the next Challenge Air Fly Day.

        A total of 36 youth patrons participated in the 2016 “On Your Mark,
Get Set, READ!” children’s summer reading program and “Get in the Game:
READ!” teen program. Both themes emphasized games, play, healthy lifestyles
and, of course, reading! Summer reading participants were mailed a weekly
packet of various book recommendations and suggested activities. Youth were
also encouraged to write reviews of books they read throughout the summer
and submit them to WTBBL to be posted on our website. You can check out
these new reviews along with various recommended reads lists at:
wtbbl.org/findabook.aspx. I’m already excited for next year’s summer reading
theme entitled, “Build a Better World.”

        Our fall programs begin as summer comes to a close. The 2016 WTBBL
Fall Pen Pal Program kicked off on September 15, and will run for three
months. WTBBL Pen Pal Programs are open to all students grades 1-12
interested in meeting new friends. Students are matched with another WTBBL
student at a different school by reading level and medium (UEB or large
print). Watch out for our Spring Pen Pal Program beginning March 2017.

        Don’t forget that Multisensory Storytimes continue every week at
WTBBL for children up to age 5. All are welcome! Be on the lookout for
information about more upcoming events, including the 2017 Washington
Braille Challenge. In the meantime, please contact me with any questions or
concerns. Have a great school year and happy reading!

********

Poetry at the Library by Marah Blake

One of my favorite games as a child was something I now like to call “I Am
Emily Dickinson.” There were few rules to the game other than hiding away
with a collection of Dickinson’s work as well as a notebook and pencil so
that I could attempt my own poems. Once my family noticed my new interest
they introduced me to their favorite poets, sharing well-loved collections,
and encouraging impromptu recitation. Lately I enjoy reading big anthologies
that include a variety of writers, styles, eras and themes. These are just a
handful of the anthologies available here at the library:

Julie Andrews’ Treasury for All Seasons edited by Julie Andrews and Emma
Walton Hamilton (DB 75786 and BR 19702)

        “Collection of poems and songs that celebrate different holidays and
special moments throughout the year.”

Beauty Is a Verb: The New Poetry of Disability edited by Jennifer Bartlett,
Sheila Black, and Michael Northen (DB 74050)

        “Anthology shows disability through the lenses of poetry and
essays.”

Poetry 180: A Turning Back to Poetry edited by Billy Collins (DB 75492)

        “Anthology of contemporary verse that grew from former U.S. poet
laureate Collins’s project to make poetry accessible and inviting to
teenagers.”

Penguin Anthology of 20th Century American Poetry edited by Rita Dove (DB
74243)

        “Anthology of American poems published between 1900 and 2000.”

Black Nature: Four Centuries of African American Nature Poetry edited by
Camille T. Dungy (DB 73042)

“This anthology of verse by ninety-three writers spans the        history of
black poetry in America, with the earliest pieces by Phillis Wheatley and
the latest by Nikki Giovanni and Rita Dove.”

A Book of Luminous Things: An International Anthology of Poetry edited by
Czeslaw Milosz (DBW 7373)

        “Selected by Nobel laureate Czeslaw Milosz, this anthology
aims to present poetry that is ‘short, clear, readable and
realistic.”

        WTBBL also receives press braille issues of Poetry magazine. The
magazine is also available as downloadable braille from BARD.

Of course, I cannot leave out the poet who started it all for me:

The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson (DB 56797 and BR 12581)

********

Audio Books: And the Beat Goes On! by John Pai

        Usually, summer here at the audio studios of WTBBL is a time when
book production slows down. Not this year! Yes, volunteers have taken time
away to go on vacation, and our volunteer shifts were adjusted, but book
production has been steady. Some volunteers actually had more time in our
studios since they had time off from work. In all, it’s made for a
productive summer and puts us in very good shape as we begin production on
the Washington state Voters’ Pamphlet. We’re headed for a record year in
local production.

Thanks again to our hard-working and passionate volunteers!

DBC 367 The Alpine Yeoman [#25, Emma Lord Mystery] by Mary Daheim.

An ill wind blows through Alpine, but Advocate publisher Emma Lord and
Sheriff Milo Dodge seem immune to the prevailing angst. The newlyweds'
domestic idyll is most definitely over when a dead man is discovered near
the fish hatchery and nobody has a clue as to his identity. And then Milo's
dedicated deputy, Sam Heppner, a true yeoman, suddenly goes AWOL. What's
happening in Alpine? 2014. Narrated by Erin Ziedman.

DBC 333 Possession [#8, Greywalker series] by Kat Richardson.

When a comatose woman suddenly wakes up and starts painting scenes she's
never witnessed with a skill she's never had, medical science has no
explanation. More bizarre phenomena manifest, including strange voices
coming from her mouth, and even her doctors wonder whether the woman may be
possessed. 2013. Narrated by Mary Schlosser.

DBC 384 Black Spokane: The Civil Rights Struggle in the Inland Northwest by
Dwayne Mack.

Recovers a crucial chapter in the history of race relations and civil rights
in America. Drawing on oral histories, interviews, newspapers and a rich
array of other primary sources, the author sets the stage for the years
following World War II in the Inland Northwest, when an influx of black
veterans would bring about a new era of racial issues. 2014. Narrated by
Zoaunne Leroy.

DBC 412 Win Forever: Live, Work, and Play Like a Champion by Pete Carroll,
Kristoffer A. Garin, and Yogi Roth.

The USC and Seattle Seahawks head football coach outlines leadership lessons
gleaned from his work as both an athletic model and mentor for at-risk
youth, covering such topics as competition, practice and overcoming fear.
2011. Narrated by Chris Snee.

********

New Braille Books to Enjoy by Ed Godfrey

        Thank you to all transcribers and proofreading teams who helped us
produce these books for the recently concluded summer reading program! They
are great year-round, so check them out!

BRJ 1392. My Three Best Friends and Me, Zulay by Cari Best.       Zulay and
her three best friends are all in the same first grade class and study the
same things, even though Zulay is blind. When their teacher asks her
students what activity they want to do on Field Day, Zulay surprises
everyone when she says she wants to run a race. With the help of a special
aide and the support of her friends, Zulay does just that. Grades K-3. 2015.
One Volume. Transcribed by Joan Moritz.

BRW 1449. Izzy Barr, Running Star by Claudia Mills.

Izzy Barr is the star athlete of the third grade: she hits home runs on her
softball team and is one of the fastest runners in her class, but at home
her brother Dustin seems to be her father's favorite athlete. Izzy pretends
that she doesn't care, but as the citywide 10K run approaches, she wants
nothing more than for her dad to watch the race and cheer her on. 2015. One
Volume. Transcribed by Mary Forster.

BRW 1452. Shot in the Dark by Janet M. Whyte.

Eighth-grader Micah is psyched to have made the junior goalball team. What
he's not happy about is his parents' decision to get him a guide dog, and
the possibility of losing his independence. But with the team's big junior
tournament quickly approaching, Micah has to become a real team player both
on and off the court and help his team win the championship. For grades 6-9
and older readers. 2016. 2 volumes. Transcribed by Pia Fish, Karen Hara,
Herrick Heitman, and Connie Van Winkle.

BRW 1453. Gold Medal Summer by Donna Freitas.

Joey Jordan loves gymnastics: the thrill of performing a backflip on the
beam, the cheers of the audience when she sticks a landing. But even with
all her talent and style, she's never quite made it to that gold medal
stand. Can Joey handle all the challenges coming her way, and make her gold
medal summer happen at last? 3 volumes. Transcribed by Gail Viscione.

********

Volunteer Spotlight on Paco Díaz

        Being part of a community makes me feel a responsibility to share my
experience, talents, and time. Working with nonprofits for many years has
shown me the importance of supporting those who most need help. This is
something that has always made me feel good, with even the smallest things
making a difference. That’s why I decided to volunteer and promote WTBBL
after I met Rocío Vargas, the library’s administrative assistant, on the
morning news show I host in Spanish on El Rey 1360 AM. Rocío was our special
guest that day, and she talked about what WTBBL offers to its patrons.

        After listening to all the benefits that the library offers to
people with special reading needs and realizing that there were not many
talking books recorded in Spanish, I felt the need to help. My native
language is Spanish and, along with my passion for producing radio and my
joy in supporting others, these elements fit into my reasons for
volunteering. I prepared for my audition to see if my performance met with
the audio-recording standards of the library. I was very happy when David
Junius emailed me to say that I had passed the audition!

        As a Latino, it is very important to me to give back to the
community and, by supporting good causes like WTBBL, we help contribute to
the greatness of this nation.

        I am the first WTBBL volunteer to record books in Spanish, and after
three months’ work, I’m happy to share with you my first book, Hoyos (Holes)
by Louis Sachar, DBC 6754! I have started recording a second book and hope
to continue collaborating with WTBBL for a long time!

********

Double Your Impact With a Matching Gift to WTBBL! by Laura Mott

        Did you know that many Washington state companies match donations
made by their employees to a wide range of local nonprofits, including
WTBBL? Gifts from employees’ spouses and retirees may also qualify for a
matched donation. The impact of matching gift programs can be significant,
as many companies match employee donations dollar-for-dollar, which could
turn a $50 gift into a $100 gift!

        Similarly, many companies also sponsor volunteer grant programs, or
“dollars for doers.” These are also a type of giving program, created to
encourage volunteerism in communities and provide monetary grants to
organizations like WTBBL where employees regularly volunteer. It’s an easy
way for volunteers to provide a contribution without having to take out
their checkbooks.

        Ask your employer if they match employee gifts or have a volunteer
grant program to make your donation and time go even further! For questions,
contact me at laura.mott at sos.wa.gov or (360) 902-4171.