[nfbwatlk] FW: The Battle Continues

Mon May 23 20:54:59 UTC 2016

From: Prows, Bennett (HHS/OCR)
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2016 1:54 PM
To: 'NFB Talk Mailing List'
Subject: The Battle Continues

For those who like movies with video description, if you use any of the cable companies with "on demand services" like Comcast, I have found out that they don't rent or sell movies with video description files. They, of course, have files with Spanish, and perhaps other languages, they have closed captioning, but none that I know of are equipped with video description. Since no movies are required to have video description, and TV video description is limited so far, the on demand services don't provide the service.

Looks like we still have a lot of work to do. And, I've always been a guy that could care less about description of programing on TV, but movies these days with all the special effects, ETC, seems to me are using less dialog, and so I would appreciate video description when I can get it.

I found out about all of this, after watching the Star Wars Movie with my children last weekend. Ok, so I'm a late comer to the state of field of TV technology.

Onward and forward. May the force be with you!

/s/

Bennett