[nfbwatlk] Service Dog Question

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 00:35:31 UTC 2016

Albert, basically because of the ADA, but also Washington State
Law, service dogs are allowed to be present in most public
places.  It is the responsibility of the dog handler to keep
control of their dog, and if that is not happening the person can
be told that the dog will need to leave.  Dogs, even service dogs
aren't perfect and sometimes things happen but I would say that
if a dog attacked someone it either isn't a service dog, or it is
not well-trained or well-controlled.

An interesting factor regarding service dogs and the ADA is that
churches are not subject to the ADA.  Most churches that I know
of have no problem with genuine service dogs, especially if they
are well-behaved and doing their job.

There are two questions that a business, or a church pastor, for
that matter could ask: Is this a service dog? If the person says
yes, then they can be asked: what task does this dog do to
mitigate your disability? So in my case, it's pretty obvious.  My
dog guides me.  But there are people who have balance issues and
their dogs help them to stay balanced.  That's probably more then
you wanted to know.  (Smile).    Debby