[nfbwatlk] Fwd: Smartphone Accessibility Study

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 18:39:50 UTC 2016

Forwarding for a colleague.

Cindy

Hello,

My name is Anne Ross and I am a graduate student in the Department of
Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Washington. I am part
of a research team at working on *making smartphone applications more
accessible for people with disabilities*. We’re performing a study to
better understand the barriers smartphone apps may present to people with
disabilities and how people work around those problems.

Participants will be asked to perform tasks on a smartphone (e.g. replying
to an e-mail) while talking through the steps they’re taking. After
completing tasks, participants will complete a questionnaire covering how
accessible they found the app. The session will conclude with an interview
where we will discuss accessibility challenges the apps have, work around
strategies for dealing with those challenges, and ideas for possible
enhancements to the apps that would address these challenges.

We’re recruiting participants who are *blind\low-vision,* who are *regular
smartphone users,* and *frequently use a screen reader on their smartphone*.
The session will last about *one hour* and participants will receive a *$20
Amazon gift card*. The study will take place in *the Paul G. Allen Center
for Computer Science & Engineering at the University of Washington*.

If you are interested in participating in this study, have any questions,
or would like more information, please email us at ansross at cs.washington.edu.
Although we keep e-mails private, please note that we cannot ensure the
confidentiality of information sent via e-mail.

We welcome you to forward the information about this study to anyone you
know who may be interested in participating.

Thank you!

--
Anne Ross

PhD Student
Computer Science and Engineering
University of Washington
https://homes.cs.washington.edu/~ansross/
ansross <at> cs.washington.edu

--
Cindy Bennett
https://www.bennettc.com/

2nd Year Ph.D. Student, University of Washington
Human Centered Design and Engineering

Treasurer of the National Federation of the Blind of Washington
an Affiliate of the National Federation of the Blind

clb5590 at gmail.com