[nfbwatlk] Convention Wrap up

Marci Carpenter mjc59 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 7 20:02:34 UTC 2015

I want to thank everyone who attended our 2015 NFBW Convention. All of you made this a successful convention. As was noted earlier we had 90 in attendance. 75 people attended our banquet. It was great to get to know Everette Bacon, our national representative, who gave a wonderful banquet address and landed his voice to the singing in the Hospitality Room. Thanks to our Greater Seattle chapter for providing food, beverages and fun. Thanks also to Don Mitchell and Karl Smith for playing lots of fun music. Karl gave an inspiring talk on Saturday afternoon.

Congratulations to Betty Watson and Gary Mackenstadt on their re-election to the NFBW Board of Directors for 2 year terms. The experience which Gary and Betty bring to our board has great value. Congratulations to Andrea Travis for her election as Alternate Delegate to our national convention. I look forward to working with her in Orlando next year. Andrea also did an excellent  job with registration!

Our Student Division is now organized with Hannah Werbel, NFB national scholarship winner and a Freshman at the University of Washington, as its President and a capable board to assist her. Thanks also to NABS President Sean Whalen for helping in this effort and for joining us for the weekend. Congratulations to Tracey Tonasket and Abby Griffith, our NFBW scholarship winners!

The Washington Organization of Parents of Blind Children, led by Jennifer Gandarias, had a good meeting with several new parents in attendance. Many Federationists were there to lend support.

The Washington State Association of Guide Dog Users held a good meeting on Friday afternoon. President Debby Phillips now has an able board to help the group move forward.

Mike Mello did an excellent job organizing our Friday afternoon exhibit room. We had 8 exhibitors. We will continue to have an exhibit room at future conventions. 3D Photoworks provided tactile art pieces and a tactile map of Washington for attendees to check out. Luc Gandarias and President Riccobono are working closely with the company. KING5 aired a story on its 5:00 newscast on Friday about the exhibit which included information about our convention.

We adopted an important resolution concerning the provision of intensive blindness skills training for blind youth. More information, including the text of the resolution, will be posted soon.

This was my first state convention as your President. I was very pleased with all of our presenters and the engagement of everyone at the convention. I will work to make our 2016 state convention even better and I hope to see even more of you at that convention. President Riccobono says the with love, hope and determination we build the Federation and improve opportunities for blind children and adults. I witnessed all 3 qualities at our 2015 convention and I look forward to the year ahead.

Marci Carpenter