[nfbwatlk] Are our rights to speak freely on airplanes still intact?

Mary ellen gabias at telus.net
Thu Mar 26 16:54:03 UTC 2015

Thank you, Debbie!

Any reasonable person can tell the difference between a blind person who
wants control over personal mobility and a terrorist or emotionally
disturbed person who wants to cause problems for a flight.  A member of a
flight crew intent on exerting power and control can deliberately obliterate
the clear line between the two very different situations.  I believe we need
to stand up for ourselves because law ought to trump power trips.  Whether
we use the tactic of polite but firm refusal to comply with unreasonable
demands at the time, or whether we use the tactic of launching legal
challenges after the fact is a matter for personal decision.

We fought hard for the right to keep our canes.  It would be a disservice to
that struggle if we allow the right to atrophy.  For me, the issue has gone
beyond the safety value of the cane. How dare airline people tell me I
should travel with a folding or collapsible cane!  I don't tell them what
brand or type of vehicle they should drive.  How dare they tell me I should
be the last person off when the plane lands!  How dare they restrict my
freedom of movement in any way that goes beyond the restrictions they place
on other passengers!  How dare they use me as an object on which to vent
their professional frustrations or demonstrate their ability to wield power!