[nfbwatlk] Are our rights to speak freely on airplanes still intact?

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 16:10:02 UTC 2015

Hi all, last night, I was talking to another blind friend and we
got to talking about canes and dogs and airlines.  Her comment
first was that people should just use folding canes when flying
and that would solve the problem.  I said that I did not want the
airlines to dictate whether I use a folding cane or not.  I don't
like my folding cane for really long walks, or a lot of usage,
because it's heavier than the straight NFB cane that I like best.
Then she said that she believed that we should just comply with
flight attendant requests and take whatever action we choose
after getting off the plane.  I said that I did not want my cane
to be far away from me, like in the front closet.  It could be
that it won't matter if the plane crashes, whether I have my cane
or not.  But it could matter, so I want the option of having it
there.  And I said I wouldn't let them take more.  Or that if I
did comply, ow would quietly say that their action was not legal,
and that I would be filing a complaint.  Her response was that I
should not do that, as the flight attendants would take that as a
threat, or bullying or some such, and that in this day and age
with all the terrible things that have happened, we should just
protest off the plane.  Now of course, this might be the prudent
thing to do.  But is it the right thing to do? In the end of
course, we each will have to decide for ourselves.  I said to her
and to the two husbands, "Don't you see how our rights are slowly
being taken away? We are afraid to ask someone's name because
they might be offended and think we are bullying them.  We must
quietly comply with flight attendant requests, whether they are
rational, or even legal.  Otherwise we might get thrown off the
plane, or even worse, turned over to TSA.  If this is what we
have come to, then perhaps the terrorists on 9-11 have won at
least a small victory.    Peace,    Debby