[nfbwatlk] Comment from Mary Ellen, please

Mary ellen gabias at telus.net
Tue Mar 24 03:09:51 UTC 2015

Thanks, Debbie, for forwarding Heather's comments to us.  I'll get in touch with her because her concerns mirror ours

Several years ago, as service dogs for all sorts of people with all sorts of disabilities began insisting on their right to access to places of public accommodations, confusion reigned in many quarters.  In an attempt to resolve that confusion, and most of all to put teeth in the protections that are currently in the law but very rarely enforced, the British Columbia legislature embarked on a multi year fact finding effort to upgrade the law.  CFB commented on the questions the legislature asked, but it was clear from the questions themselves that the main focus of the legislature was to create a certification process to catch phony service dog teams, not to ensure nondiscriminatory treatment of handlers accompanied by guide dogs.  This focus seems to be promoted primarily by the service and guide dog schools and by the cross disability umbrella organization in the province.

Put simply, an effort to strengthen access rights has been hijacked by the schools and the cross disability umbrella group, and turned into a means of sorting out the various types of service dogs and giving the schools an almost total monopoly over what dog is legitimate and what dog is a phony.  Instead of concentrating on the person who has the right to access, this bill concentrates on the training of the dog.  Suddenly our rights are the dog's rights.

For example, because puppies in training need socialization, this new law proposes to afford puppy walkers the same access rights in public places and on public transportation that are afforded to blind people with working guide dogs.  It sounds fine on the surface.  How can a dog become a guide if it doesn't have experience in public places?  But does a puppy walker need to take the dog into every restaurant, or would socializing it in a few willing restaurants suffice?  If the rights of the puppy walker are treated as synonymous with our rights, doesn't that trivialize ours?

As for certification, Heather is dead on accurate.  Now, if there's an incident, the burden of proof is on the entity refusing access.  If this law is passed, the burden of proof is on the owner of the guide dog.

The proposed law does include strata properties; condos and townhouses run by strata corporations were previously not included.  That's one positive thing, perhaps the only positive thing.  Although the fines are increased, I'm still reading the proposed bill to understand whether the enforcement mechanism has changed.  Currently, anyone experiencing discrimination gets relief by taking the case to the Huuman Rights tribunal.  The original intent for blind people of upgrading the law was to permit police to enforce the law and issue tickets on the spot.  There's talk of that happening, but it appears from a cursory reading that that change would be left to regulation.  The government is loath to engage in very much rule making, so if it's not in the law, it very likely won't happen.  The same is true of anyone with a privately trained dog who wants to get that dog certified.  Regulations are supposed to allow for that, but until regulations are passed, only school trained dogs can be certified.  The law is unclear about the status of guide dog teams visiting the province.  One proponent suggested that there be an on line application for temporary certification; without it, out of province teams are out of luck.  It's not clear that such a dire scheme would actually be put into effect, but the very fact that the head of the BC Guide Dog school could seriously suggest it is chilling.

I've taken to calling the proposed law the Guide Dog Industry Income Protection and Social Control Act.

Unless significant changes are made in this bill, its passage will set guide dog users back.