[nfbwatlk] Another device to help us "see"

Mary ellen gabias at telus.net
Mon Jun 22 21:20:03 UTC 2015

I've never tried that app.  I have used FaceTime with friends and family if
I needed to know something visual and nobody was home. That gives me the
visual information I need without the dangerous privacy implications you so
correctly point out.

I hadn't thought about how a robot could be hackable.  I have read about
dangers associated with enabling location services on a smart phone.  The
allure of having things like time changes and weather reports updated
without any work has meant that most of us, blind or sighted, let iOS or
Android systems know where we are.  When you think that it's possible to
track where you are at all times, or at least where your phone is, the
thought can be a bit crazy making.  So many of us do it that we as a society
clearly have not considered the implications.

I suppose that, if you're careful, the Be My Eyes app could be useful.  If I
ask a stranger whether there are any spots on my blouse, the primary danger
is that he or she won't tell me the truth.  If I ask that somebody read my
credit card statement, shame on me for being so stupid!  Being a trusting
soul can be a dangerous thing, but being trusting and prudent at the same
time makes sense.