[nfbwatlk] Transit Guide-Bots for Blind Passengers?, Route Fifty presented by Government Executive, May 17 2015

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 20:20:35 UTC 2015

I may not have read the article carefully enough, but I got the
impression that instead of using eyesight, the robot uses stored
information about a building layout in order to provide guidance. If
that is the case, it could be cool for both blind and sighted users. I
also think the blind still face a huge disadvantage in accessing
information that's stored in maps, directories and signs that sighted
people use for navigation. A robot or device that could provide
details about a building's layout akin to those found in a wall map
would be useful in my opinion. Such information is just information,
and the blind person still has to process it and make independent
choices about how to get from one place to the next.
Arielle