[nfbwatlk] FW: [Wcb-l] History kicks 5

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue May 6 19:56:25 UTC 2014

Yes. Sue Anderson is now sue Ammeter.

And WCB has always claimed that *it* was in the beginning, is now and ever
shall be, the *legitimate* heir to the NFB. Yes, the council did exist back
then but I'm not even sure there was an affiliate in the state of
Washington. The Federation affiliate was called the Washington Association
for the Blind; that was the name it began with in 1935 and was known as when
it joined the NFB in 1941. It was technically the name the Federation
affiliate was known as until the late 1970's when there was a move to
institute uniform names of "NFB of ..." for all state affiliates.

Of course, the NFB of Washington split in 1979 as you know with what is now
the Washington Council of the Blind then being known as the United Blind of
Washington State. By that time, there *was* a Washington Council of the
Blind but it was quite small. UBWS and WCB joined in 1990.

Anyway, they consider that *they* are carrying on the heritage and tradition
of the NFB.

It's sort of like MAD and RID -- both are organizations of mothers against
drunk driving and both insist that each is *the* legitimate organization of
mothers against drunk driving and that the other organization's claims to
legitimacy are bogus.

In fairness, though, both the NFB of Washington and the Washington Council
of the Blind know they have better things to do than rehash old quarrels.

Anyway, we both claim the same history up until '79.

Mike