[nfbwatlk] Looking for late blind individuals interested in UW research study

Ione Fine ionefine at uw.edu
Thu Mar 20 21:10:48 UTC 2014

Looking for late blind individuals.

Recruitment email

Dr. Ione Fine at the University of Washington is looking for subjects for a
study that examines the effects of visual deprivation on the ability to
process visual, tactile and auditory stimuli. We are examining how this
happens in the brain. If you choose to participate you will be asked to
participate in behavioral and/or MR experiments.

Currently we are recruiting subjects who had normal vision up until the age
of 20 and became blind (light perception or worse) sometime after the age of
20.

For behavioral experiments we will ask you to make simple judgments about
tactile and/or auditory stimuli.  You may be asked to participate in as many
as five behavioral sessions (each session lasts up to 1.5 hours, and each
session will be carried out on a different day).  Participants will be paid
$20/hour for behavioral sessions. Subjects will be compensated for travel
time and door to door transportation will be provided.

Magnetic resonance imaging is a technique that uses magnets and
radiofrequency waves to image parts of the body.  For MR experiments we will
ask you to lie in an MR scanner while you make simple judgments about
tactile and/or auditory stimuli. You may be asked to participate in as many
as five MR imaging sessions (each session lasts up to 2 hours, and each
session will be carried out on a different day).  Participants will be paid
$45/hour for imaging sessions. Subjects will be compensated for travel time
and door to door transportation will be provided.

Subjects participating in the MR experiments must have no metal objects in
or on the body during the scan.

Anyone interested in volunteering should contact Dr. Ione Fine at the phone
number or email address below.

Eligibility: To participate you must be 18 years of age or older, should
have no history of claustrophobia, and no metal objects in or on the body
during the scan.

Contact Information:      206-685-6157
ionefine at u.washington.edu
(Pease note: the confidentiality of information sent via e-mail cannot be
ensured.)