[nfbwatlk] drive in custodialism

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 18:34:11 UTC 2014

Hi all,
I think much of this issue comes from fundamental public
misunderstandings about how effectively blind people perceive their
surroundings. Recall that most AER-trained mobility instructors are
taught that blind clients cannot handle uncontrolled intersections
safely like the one Don is describing. I grew up being consistently
told that my hearing wasn't good enough to pick up on the faraway cars
sighties could see. Wasn't until LCB that I learned how to handle
these intersections. So, if O&M's don't even get it, imagine that most
members of the general public will underestimate how much information
we can gather through our ears. Sighted people also often
misunderstand how effectively our canes keep us safe. Then, given this
misunderstanding, they will try to "help" us in ways that actually
cause harm by interfering with our active perception of our world, by
taking away our control of where we are going, etc. They think their
behavior is completely appropriate and justified. So if we react
defensively, they interpret it as being rude. Unfortunately, if these
folks aren't taught more appropriate ways of interacting with us, they
might conclude that we will be rude to them no matter what, and just
avoid us completely. To complicate matters, there are some times when
all of us need blindness-specific help--asking what a street sign
says, etc. It can be very confusing for sighties to know when we do or
don't desire help, much less how we want that help to be given.
This problem could be circumvented if a sighted person stops to take a
breath before "blindly" jumping in and trying to help. They can ask if
we need help, or just calmly observe us navigating for a little bit,or
just come up and starts a normal conversation that doesn't center
around help-giving. Whenever I do disability in-services I always
stress "ask if somebody needs help, don't just assume and jump in".
But there are many many people we won't be able to reach through an
in-service, and there's not always time to educate everyone on how
their behavior can be improved in the future.
Don, I totally agree with you that it's not fair for us to have to
accept special treatment and kindnesses not extended to other members
of society. I think it's very unfair that if a man grabs me in a way
that would normally get him punched by any other lady, the social
expectation is that I need to be nice and accept his "kindness".
Unfortunately though, in reality, if we insist on being treated just
like everybody else, we are bound to be misunderstood and labeled as
rude and ungrateful rather than having our equality better understood.
I try to strike a balance between being nice (because I do try to see
myself as a nice person) and being firm about how I do and don't want
to be treated. I do think that many sighted people have great capacity
to understand us as equal citizens if we give them the chance,
especially if we build friendships and relationships with them--and
many of us have sighted friends or spouses who come to mind.
Arielle