[nfbwatlk] TECHNOLOGY AND LIBERTY DIRECTOR, ACLUS job announcement
Noel.Nightingale at ed.gov
Fri Aug 8 15:28:51 UTC 2014
TECHNOLOGY AND LIBERTY DIRECTOR
The ACLU of Washington invites applications for the full-time position of Technology and Liberty Director to lead its work at the intersection of civil liberties and technology. The Technology and Liberty Director identifies and addresses civil liberties issues arising from the use and development of new technologies. The position works closely with senior legal, legislative, and communications staff and has significant interaction with its national ACLU counterparts. The position reports to the Executive Director through the Deputy Director.
The ACLU-WA's staff of 30+ employees and numerous volunteers work in a fast-paced, friendly and professional office in downtown Seattle. The ACLU-WA is a leader in state-level policy advocacy on privacy, free speech and access issues. It has participated in law reform and policy advocacy related to geo-location devices, RFID, data aggregation, surveillance, and online free speech. The ACLU-WA is among the top affiliates of the national ACLU network.
Responsibilities will include:
* Engage in both technical and policy research to analyze technology-related programs and proposals by government and industry
* In collaboration with senior staff, develop positions and strategies to respond to civil liberties and technology issues
* Provide expertise to policymakers, the press, and coalition partners
* Forge relationships with technology experts, public interest groups, government officials, community stakeholders, and academics to engage them in our work
* In collaboration with senior staff, identify key priority areas for advocacy and develop plans for outreach and advocacy for each issue
* In collaboration with the Legislative Director, advocate on selected technology issues before the state legislature, state or local agencies, and other policy makers
* In collaboration with the Legal Director, identify litigation theories and opportunities to protect and advance civil liberties
* Engage in outreach and educational activities through written materials, speaking engagements, and media
* Maintain positive working relationships with relevant national ACLU staff, and collaborate on selected national efforts
* Help maintain a positive, respectful, welcoming, and professional work environment for employees, interns, and volunteers. Engage in other activities to advance the work of the program
* A law degree or another relevant advanced degree
* Experience in policy analysis in the areas of privacy, technology, or a closely related field
* Demonstrated skills as an articulate, effective public advocate
* Excellent analysis, writing, and research skills
* Prior experience simplifying and communicating technical and legal issues to general audiences
* Strong project management, organization, and collaboration skills with attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
* Strong commitment to and understanding of civil liberties and civil rights
* Ability to work cooperatively on a variety of projects with a broad range of individuals and community organizations
* Ability to work independently and under pressure, to attend occasional evening meetings and sometimes to work long or irregular hours
* A commitment to diversity; a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socio-economic circumstance
Compensation: Salary is based on experience and qualifications. Benefits include three weeks of vacation to start, medical and disability insurance, matching 401(k) plan and bus pass.
Application procedure: To apply, email a letter of application and resume to Jobs at aclu-wa.org<mailto:Jobs at aclu-wa.org> and include in the subject line of the email: your last name and Technology & Liberty Director. In your letter, please indicate where you learned of the posting. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled at which time it will be removed from our website at http://www.aclu-wa.org/jobs-internships.
The ACLU is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages qualified individuals of every race, creed, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity and expression to apply.
More information about the NFBWATlk