[nfbwatlk] Oregon's largest charter school miseducated blind student for years, graduated her unable to read or write, Oregon Live, February 20 2013

Mary ellen gabias at telus.net
Fri Feb 22 21:55:32 UTC 2013

I wish this were an unusual story.  In this case the charter school was the
problem.  We all know to our sorrow that public schools can be just as bad,
except that they follow the rules and create the appropriate paperwork.

Miseducated is the correct term for what happens to so many blind students
across North America.  How many perfectly capable blind students have a full
time aide?  How many blind students with some vision are discouraged from
learning Braille?  The latest version of "vision think" is to teach students
with some vision the Braille code.  They're taught Braille as a separate
class, but most of their reading, math, social studies, etc. is done in
print.  But they're being provided Braille instruction, so what if it's
never made a practical part of their education.  A teacher of the blind
stated at a meeting of the CFB that it is her job to teach students the
Braille code, but it's the job of the classroom teacher to teach that child
how to read.  What absurd nonsense!

I never attended a school for the blind.  I did attend a resource room where
I was integrated into classes as my blindness skills grew strong enough for
me to be able genuinely to succeed.  Yes, I missed going to a neighborhood
school, but I got an education where the expectation was that I could
compete.  The system failed totally when it came to physical education,
science,, home economics, and industrial arts.  Clearly far from perfect,
but apparently better than what's happening now.