[nfbwatlk] voting in Kitsap county

Mary Ellen gabias at telus.net
Fri Oct 5 19:26:31 UTC 2012

I hear you concerning the general dangers of on line voting.  However, if a
jurisdiction is irresponsible enough to use such a potentially abusable
system, I would expect them to make it an accessible potentially abusable
system.

Though I personally do not object to using a scribe to cast my vote, I
understand the emotional and symbolic importance of the secret ballot.

On the CFB list we've been discussing access to airline kiosks.  I've been
unmovably insisting that kiosks be made that we can use.  My objection has
never been that I personally mind getting help using kiosks; it's a
principle that electronic digitally based systems should be built from the
beginning with the assumption that vision isn't the only way  to go.  The
secret ballot is the most easily understandable and emotionally and
philosophically powerful example of the validity of that principle.