[nfbwatlk] [Living History]Behold Beauty

debby phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 05:39:59 UTC 2012

Hi Mike, thanks for sending this.  Noel, what a wonderful
article!  You have expressed what I have tried to tell people for
years.  There are such profound moments, and sometimes out of an
ordinary day, something really magical happens.  A few days ago,
I was in travel class with my instructor and another student.  I
walked on ahead, feeling the breeze in my face, the rhythm of my
steps on the sidewalk, the tap of my cane.  It was as if God
touched my cheek with His smile and let me have those few
fleeting moments of joy, before I had to come back to the reality
of travel class.  On another day years ago, I walked down a snowy
street in PORTLAND, heading for the bus stop to go to work.
There was a quiet hush of snow, and it felt like walking in to a
magic land.  My dog and I walked confidently together, the snow
squeaking beneath my feet.  There were no cars about-Portland
practically shuts down when it snows.  Those two moments, though
far apart and in completely different circumstances, have one
familiar theme.  I am walking freely and with the joy of
movement, alone in the cold beauty of newly-fallen snow, and in
the warmth of a Colorado day.  There is something wonderful about
walking, breathing in fresh air, and knowing that whether using a
cane or with my dog, I can be safe, and walk in freedom.  Sorry I
wrote so long.    Peace,    Debby