[nfbwatlk] FW: Protest regarding inaccessible Amazon Kindle Content in Schools

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Mon Nov 19 00:40:55 UTC 2012

From: State-affiliate-leadership-list
[mailto:state-affiliate-leadership-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of
Pare, John
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2012 7:18 PM
To: state-affiliate-leadership-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [State-affiliate-leadership-list] Protest regarding inaccessible
Amazon Kindle Content in Schools

Dear Fellow Federationists:

This e-mail provides logistical details for our Amazon protest scheduled for
Wednesday, December 12.  Subsequent e-mails will provide additional
messaging details.

Background

Amazon.com is undertaking a massive effort to incorporate inaccessible
Kindle books into K-12 schools across the United States.  They have built a
system called Whispercast that allows teachers and school administrators to
distribute Kindle content to devices other than Kindles.  The problem with
all of these plans is that the Kindle books are not accessible to students
who are blind.  Since school districts have an obligation under federal law
to purchase or deploy only accessible technology and content, Amazon must
either make Kindle books accessible or cease and desist from its efforts to
have them used in the classroom.

We will provide signs, flyers, and chants for the protest.  We will also be
delivering letters from blind students, parents, and friends to Mr. Bezos,
the founder and CEO of Amazon, as part of the protest.  You are urged to
send these letters to Chris Danielsen before December 1 at the Jernigan
Institute.  You are also urged to send us a YouTube video of the student
reading the letter.